Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Jul 1995 01:26:45 -0500
From:         ehintz@mail.utexas.edu (Edmund A. Hintz)
Subject:      My Friday Fun

Hey now, Seen folks do this, so I figured I'd harp happily about my greasy escapades. Red light on. No generator. Bummer. Pulled the old gen. out 2 days ago, hoping to patch it up, no luck. Several phone calls later, I have a generator on order-only $49! Lifetime Warranty! Bosch, but reman. by someone else. Hey, if they'll warranty it, I don't mind paying half price! So it's already out, gotta get the fan off. Don't want to remount gen., so I struggle with odd wrench combinations. Manage to bend the belt pully out of shape at the same time. Not very strong metal, next time I'm doing this with the gen in the bus. Sitting gen. on counter, holding w/left hand, big open end wrench in right, pulling on that big nut holding the fan to gen. Only thing that breaks loose is the wrench, conking me a good one in the forhead, and making blood drip down my face. Dumb. Don't try this at home, doesn't feel very good. ;-) That was yesterday. This morning I took the whole mess to the local Texaco station; "zip zip" goes the impact wrench, and I wonder why I ever screwed wtih that damn open end wrench. ;-) Went to the salvage yard, got a used pulley, and picked up a door handle while there (mine's had no lock for the last 3 weeks). Cleaned all the parts up real good, looks pretty, time to put it back in. You all know how much fun it is to put the gen. in while the engine is still in the car. Several blue words later, all is well in mudville. Drive to work, red light flashing. Not good. New generator, must be bad voltage reg. Found one for $15, score! Easy to replace, and while I did it, I had the new door handle re-keyed at the locksmith-$16 but the same key works all the doors. Worth it to me. All works great now, no red light, door that unlocks with my key and no one else's. A good days work, and a pretty scar on my forhead to brag about. Life is good!! Hope y'all learned from my misfortune. ;-)

'70 Transporter

Peace, ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Edmund A. "Eddie" Hintz **|** "You may say I'm a dreamer, Voice Major, UT Austin * | * But I'm not the only one... (512) 416-7980 * /|\ * I hope someday you'll join us, <ehintz@mail.utexas.edu> */ | \* And the world will live as one. <ehintz@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu> ***** Imagine." ------------------------------------------------------------------------