Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Jul 1995 19:42:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Engine is out

After several hours of sweating and cursing my engine is out! I still have those thoughts of selling the whole mess from time to time but they get weaker as I get closer to finishing.

The first thing I had to do was support the tranny. I went to the hardware store for chain or something when one of those cargo tie-down straps caught my eye. It is nylon and has a ratcheting thing to take up the slack. After lying under there with a tape measure and a board for half an hour this thing did the trick in about 5 minutes. It only cost $13 and probably has hundreds of household uses(tm).

After getting the tranny supported I got out all the bolts except the one up by the starter. I was having real trouble with that one. After reading Muir over several times I figured out that I need to get one from inside the engine compartment. I found a 17mm nut in there and proceeded to try to loosen it. No chance. I used every angle and wrench I had and no luck. It is about this time that the SO comes and out to see how things are going. I am cursing like a sailor and talking of selling. I am grease from one end to the other. Then she hit me with the kicker, "You're the one who wanted to be a Volkswagen mechanic." That was all it took. I got in there and found the energy to get that thing off of there.

So, the engine is on the floor now. I guess there is no looking back. Tomorrow I will begin switching some of the parts and putting on the new ones. So, at this rate I will on the road sometime in late November. I will keep you all posted. -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/