Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Jul 1995 22:55:45 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Engine log, part 100

Volks,

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is your favorite builder of type II race engines that break with your bedtime story.

Left for Oregon from Berkeley, CA June 5, drove up the highway midday, found oil temps to be higher than I had encountered to date on this nearly new 78 x 90.5 fuel injected 1971 bus. Let the SO drive above Chico, saw oil temps surpass 210, 220, then hang at 230,(65-70 mph @ 95 degrees F) let her keep driving, thinking I should back the timing off. Fuel milage in Red Bluff was good 19+ mpg, meaning the timing can't be that far off. Back timing off anyway in Red Bluff, back to 15 from 18-20, head up into the mountains after stopping at Shasta Lake for a dip. Backing timing off helps pull up hills, still weaky though for such an engine. Stop in Ashland for the night. Check valves in the morning sprinkles, loose! Head on towards Eugene, Oregon. Realize that my fuel maps are all leveled out at 50% throttle, change them to continue up from 50%, low and behold the engine comes alive at full throttle and starts hammering up hills no problem. Mixture meter reads spot on 14:1. Reach Eugene, settle in for the weekend, concerned that I may have cracked the heads in the central valley, but pleased that I have the fuel maps tuned better and things seem to be running well. Fuel milage to Eugene was actually a bit worse than the advanced setting.

Have a great weekend performing at the Country Fair, head out monday morning after checking valves and finding them a bit tight, which is what I would expect. Drive down through Ashland with happy bus. Let SO drive after Ashland, which includes the dreaded 4000'+ Anderson Pass, sweetie hammers up it in third at 50 mph just like I told her to, me in the back attempting to rest. Look up and see the oil temp past 250, fail to freak out, let her keep going. About 5 miles past Yreka she goes "I'm losing power" and pulls over. OBerg warning light is on. I look around, check valves, they seem a bit loose but nothing serious, get in and sure enough it feels like it's running on one or two cylinders. Proceed down the highway to the next exit at 30 mph. Pull off and get out the spare spark plugs I brought, only to find they are the long reach plugs and don't fit, oops, better check those spare parts a bit better, eh? Decide to head back to Yreka since it's the largest town around and it's getting late so we better find a place to stay. Drive over 15 miles at 20-40 mph on the side of the highway on what feels like two cylinders. Beautiful late evening electric storm. Burn out the flasher unit because I added those high mount brake lights. Pull into motel parking lot and check things out, the usual, lots of spark and fuel, valves loose but no visable damage. By the way we are caravanning with friends and they have been following, good thing, eh? Now we head off into town after 9:00pm at night in search of spark plugs, find them at a Chevron with a service section and they sell me four. Swap plugs, which is a difficult operation with the four barrel throttle bodies in the rain at night. Fire it up, no change, buy motel rooms for the night for all of us.

Next morning go to U-Haul and rent the only auto-transport/truck in town at 8:30 am. Drive bussy up onto transport, it seems happier now. Guy at U-Haul is amazed at how fast I load the bus up and secure it. Little does he know. I like the auto-transport more than the tow-dolly because you don't have to rip out the axles and there is no wear on the bearings. Drive back to Berkeley.

WELLLLL how about this, my Gene Berg engine whipped within 2000 miles! Imagine my surprise. What appears to be happening is that the engine does not make power, it idles beautifully, all four cylinders fire and receive fuel, will rev to 5000 rpm with no load. OBerg filter is dirty, but not with any serious shards of metal, just the usual gunk, no chunks of metal in the sump or attached to the pickup tube magnet. Valves again seem fine, a bit loose which I think is what happens when the case and heads get overheated. Compression back in Berkeley measures 100, 95, 100, 85. Which is quite a bit lower than it was before I left less than 750 miles ago. Cracked heads I surmise, either that or the studs/heads have loosened. Beautiful ported and polished semi-hemi cracked heads, what was I thinking? That I could actually build a cool running 2.0 engine? Guess not. At this point I have re-installed another set of plugs, only to find that this is not a repeat of my last U-Haul ride in that I do not get the power back when I put new plugs in. This is not a pleasant situation, I thought I did alot of stuff right, well, apparently not. I do have another stock long block that can go in, but this is clearly not my first choice. I also have a set of nearly new stock heads bored to 90.5 I can use, also not my favorite choice. I still do not know for sure what is really wrong, it doesn't seem like low compression alone could account for such a loss in power.

Some conclusions at this time:

Do not spend $5000 on a Gene Berg VW engine, buy four instead.

Do not buy the Haltech PEFI system, though it has worked perfectly, it is not adaptable to adverse conditions, such as having to re-program it when the compression drops.

Never drive with the oil temp over 215 degrees F if you have dual port heads and don't want them cracked.

Do not fail to pull over when the engine has been working way hard, even a race built one.

That even though an engine is making good power, mileage, and has no signs of knock or ping, the timing could still be too advanced for some situations. Bear in mind this is the Stinger S4 auto-retard distributor that retards 2 degrees for every thousand rpm.

That I, personally, can kill any VW bus engine on a drive to Oregon and back.

I have alot of opinions about Gene Berg, this engine should have cut it, it had/has great oil pressure and I think the short block is still solid, but VW heads are VW heads and have severe limitations, no matter who put them together, or what fuel system/distributor is running them.

I think thats all I'll say for now, since I don't really have all the facts yet.

Eug, '71 Builder of VW bus/race engines that break, top U-Haul customer, establishing a fine credit rating.

PS, I hesitate to respond to peoples requests for technical assistance from the list, I don't believe I should be telling other people how to screw up.