Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jul 1995 22:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Alistair Bell <ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject:      '72 1700 rebuild, I laughed, I cried?

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I had decided to keep my '72 westy and was going to pull the engine and fix this and that.

Well things are not as happy as I had hoped.

Apart from the rusty heater boxes, the camshaft has worn divits in the tops of most of the lifters. I had pulled the push rod tubes to peek at the cam and found the worn lifters and the cam lobes eroded. I think this is a "common" problem with 1700 pancakes. Muir mentions something about "parkenized" (sp?) cams. Anyone with anymore info?

Also my fuel pump pushrod has been peened where it rides on the cam. Another victim of the predatory camshaft?

But lo, another mystery... one of the pushrods has been "grooved" about 1 1/2" from one end. It is as if it was done on a lathe, 1/4" long, 1/4" deep. I only noticed it after I had all of the pushrods from one side in a tub so I don't know wether it was the head or case end.

Well it looks like rebuild time. It doesn't seem as bad this time, it will be my first rebuild on a car that is not a "daily driver".

Lugjurey!

"Eee by gum lad, ah had to tak case on bus when ah did ma beetle rebuild"

Alistair