Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         17 Jul 1995 08:33:24 -0700
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Re: YOU MAY WANT TO DELETE T

RE>YOU MAY WANT TO DELETE THIS MESSAGE... 7/14/95

Or - "coming out of the closet"

At the risk of being condemned, ostracized, ridiculed, ruined, stoned (with rocks) etc. I will reveal the following in relation tothe original reply by derada@texas.nrlssc.navy.mil:

In '83 I changed jobs and got a pay raise and was able to finance a new '82 diesel Vanagon to replace the '73 hallucinogenic two tone green w/ bright blue strip loaf. Now mind you that I have yet to find a vehicle as versatile as my slow poke diesel van, it is economical to run, has been pretty reliable, is one of the few vehicles capable of holding my huge immediate family (at a mpg that I could afford), supports all kind of home owner activities like hauling 4X8 sheet rock, paneling, plywood, 12' wide rolls of carpet, 14' 2X6s, 14' long swing sets for the kits, dishwasher with the rest of the family properly seated and belted in, carrying 7 people to a vacation (with assundary food, cloths, boom boxes, and including all manner of baby gates, porta-cribs and a cryogenic oxygen tank), taking 7 people on a 700 mile ride to pick up a "coming home" college student and all his stuff and bringing it and them all home and on and on . . .

BUT

I had long stated to my wife that I "always wanted a fine German automobile", and I have had to continue on to say that "a diesel VW van is not QUITE what I had in mind!" I do have to modestly disagree with the text that I left quoted below to the effect that ". . . van is the most beautiful vehicle on the face of the earth...really...more beautiful than a F... OK I'll say FERRARI" . Five years ago I had the chance (and grabbed it) to buy a used 7 year old 5 series BMW with the small "6" and 5 speed. That's a whole bunch closer to what I had in mind (-- Ferrari , new or used is out of the question). Maybe not the MOST beautiful vehicle on the face of the earth, but much more fun to drive, comfortable, and better handling (but not as versatile/pragmatic).

There - I have "confessed" A "closet BIMMER fan" on the Vanagon list.

Harvey '83 528e -136K miles 23 mpg town, 30 mpg highway and stable as a rock at all speeds I have dared on all manner of road and a blast to drive. '82 Diesel Vanagon - 150K miles, 2nd engine, a versitile work horse at 30 mpg day-in and day-out gets the job done reliably(ususally). --------------------------------------

>From: derada@texas.nrlssc.navy.mil [major deletions] ."I myself (in contrary to your opinion) think my van is the most beautiful vehicle on the face of the earth...really...more beatiful than a F... OK I'll say FERRARI for a change. BUT the *&^%$R%^ engine sucks! By the way, can you put a FO.. Ups, sorry ...another engine in it? Maybe Dr. Hutton and his wife will design one some day.

[more deletions]