Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 1995 11:12:32 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Re: Engine log, part 100

>Eugene- Are you really running it at 18-20 deg btdc static? I'm not going >to tell you what to do, but I'll tell you where I run mine at 7.5, with a >009. I measured how much the 009 advances the timing- around 28 degrees. >That would make for 35.5 deg total davance. I have heard that total advance >should never exceed 35 deg. I hope there is some logical discrepancy here. > >About oil temps- The highest mine has gone is 200. That was in a stop and >go intersate thing for 25 min. It seems to run around 180 on the highway @ >65. I am wondering if there is a difference in where we are measuring our >oil temp's. Mine is in the sump plate. Where is yours? > >CBridge@vt.edu >Chris Bridge >71' camper

Chris, wow, thats one big camper.

18, but not static, so it includes at least 2 degrees advance from static at 1000 rpm. Additional information that is relevant;

Semi-hemi domed heads, ported and polished, CR= 7.2:1 on four barrels of intake, which can generally run more timing.

78 x 90.5 means bigger cylinders which as a rule, generate more heat.

Oil temp sensor is at the pressure regulator location in the case, after the external cooler, before the internal.

Both my Haltech manual and Berg state that a low compression four cylinder gas engine can use as much as 50 degrees of ignition advance, my setting of 48 degrees total advance does not violate this.

I think I can burn most any loaded VW bus engine up on Anderson pass at midday, it's a 6% grade for about ten miles, almost three thousand feet of climbing. There are a couple of passes in Vermont that may be better than half that, Sherburne just above Killington, and the one south of 'le Lion Crouch' (Camels Hump) if memory serves me (I hiked most of the Long Trail when I was a teenager). We really should have pulled over.

I drove across the country years ago in a '71 bus and the guy who prepped it tuned it up at 9 degrees btdc on an 009 distributor and told us to use premium. We did, the car ran great all the way across including the truck following act down hills. I didn't even know what a valve adjustment was. I certainly agree, a stock engine with stock compression should not go over 7.5 degrees, if that.

I built an engine a while back that had 6.8:1 compression (.060 barrel shims and stock single port heads), dual Dellorto FRD 34 carbs and the same Stinger distributor. It never went higher than 220 degrees, even climbing hard out of Death Valley in August, loaded, at 115 degrees outside air temp. It was timed at 15 btdc. Damn valve guide failed or I'd still be using that engine. Should've used new heads.

Eug, '71 builder of race bus engines that break, coulda broken Bobs bug engine too.