Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 1995 15:10:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      I have two busses!

Well, I guess I have joined the ranks of the truely insane, as I now am officially in posession of two Volkswagen busses. My beloved and faithful 73 Boat, and a Maroon 72 'falia formerly owned by Jeff Schneiter. After trying to find a way to tow the bus home for under $300 and failing, I removed the engine from the 73 and set it in the back of the Mustang, along with a floor jack, some furniture blankets, muffler, heater boxes, carbs, etc.. I somehow managed to coerce a friend of mine from work into driving up to Jeff's house with me, and we set off in the Mustang, riding really really low. I mean like on the bump stops. Going up the back side of the Grapevine minding our own business two wannabe gangster kids in a Mustang GT decide that I'm not allowed to pass them. Thanks to the 3.55 rearend ratio and a prodigious amount of throttle we manage to get 3 car lengths in front of them before they give up and back off at about 110. Sure wish I had this engine in my bus. I-5 is really empty and everyone is hauling butt. Going 80 I'm getting passed by half the people on the road, including one 18-wheeler. I got passed by a Q45 and a Camry that were holding a steady 95. I started pacing them about a quarter mile back, figuring that they would attract any police that were around. We made great time, covering the 400 miles in about 6 hours. With only 40 more miles to Jeff's house, we figure we will be there in an hour tops, but it turns out to all be narrow, winding roads. Can't drive them quickly with an engine rolling around in the back. When all was said and done, we got to Jeff's around 11:15 - 8 hours after we left home. We were joined by Martha and Bradley (who came over to laugh at my attempt to install an engine) and the next morning I installed the engine, with help from Jeff, Bradley, and my friend Mike. Taking the engine out at home, I found that it wouldn't clear the tranny input shaft, and I ended up removing the pressure plate and leaving it in the transmission in order to get the clearance I needed. Putting the engine in, I had hoped that things would be different, but it was not to be. The damned engine was about 1 inch too long. So, I had to take off the fan housing, after which it fit fairly easily. Still had to angle it in to clear the oil filler tube, but it wasn't hard. Put everything back together and the camper started right up. There was an exhaust leak, and it wouldn't idle (I had forgotten to reattach the brake booster hose) but other than that, no problems. Loaded the remains of the original 1700 engine into the bus, and set off. At least I tried to, but the right rear drum was frozen. Rocking the bus back and forth finally freed it up. We loaded the remains of the original 1700 engine into the bus and set off about 4 pm Sunday, with Mike following me in the Mustang. As it started getting dark, I began to wonder if the lights worked. So, we stopped and checked. No lights at the left rear. I couldn't figure out what was wrong so I just attached a wire from the right rear light to the left rear (the parking light). The blinkers also didn't work, so I used hand signals. Some other things about the bus. The speedometer was very optimistic - I figure it is at least ten percent off. I was cruising at an indicated 70mph, but the Mustang was showing about 62, and I know the Mustang is accurate. The tires are 185/70/14 all around, a little on the small side. That must be why. The engine hatch hinges were also broken, so we had wired it on, which made it difficult to check the engine, but when I looked at the taillights I felt the dipstick and it was not running hot. Driving without gauges I wonder how any bus could live long that way. This bus is definately lighter than the 73. Heading up the Grapevine, I was able to hold 4th gear until just after it got really steep, wheras the same engine in the 73 I had had to shift into third about a mile before the bottom of the hill. Made it up in 3rd with power to spare. On the other hand, visibility out the passenger side rear is bad because of the full height closet, which covers the windows. Mike got an incredible 28mpg in the Mustang following me - I got about 20. I got back home at 1 am, the bus making a lout hissing noise and idling around 2500 rpm. I think the idle screw backed out - it does that a lot. But, I was much too tired to mess with it. The camper is actually in pretty good shape - I'm suprised none of the Bay area listmembers bought it. Turns out it was originally sold in Iceland (really!). From the records, it looks like it was in the States by 1979, and lived in both LA and the Bay area at times. The last smog certificate I found was an exemption, due to off-the-scale tailpipe emissions and low compression. Looking at the pistons, I noticed the skirts were covered with brown streaks, showing that the rings were leaking badly. The old engine had 170,000 miles on it so I guess it did okay. It has the usual battery tray rust, assorted dents, missing seals, and the aforementioned electrical problems, but I hope to bring it back to roadworthiness. Unlike the 73, which is a hightop, this bus will fit in my garage! Thanks again to Jeff for use of his facilities, and to Martha and Bradley for, umm... for something. =) Company! Yeah, that's it!

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project?) California '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Sleeper) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================