Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 1995 21:22:43 -0700
From:         nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu (Martha Rubin)
Subject:      lakeport update

Here's who's going to the Lakeport festival this coming weekend. Note that we've lost a few and gained a few. Any more takers? Please let me know ASAP....

Jim Thompson busboys@aol.com Ken Bowen kenb@SIRIUS.COM in SF Albrecht Jander jander@hplgauss.hpl.hp.com

Now, Jim Thompson won't be able to join us until Saturday, when we're actually in Lakeport. What I'm about to say pertains to Friday evening, which is the time we've designated to camp further west on the coast, hopefully at Gualala, and here's what I suggest after talking to/polling everyone.

The last person to be free on Friday is Albrecht at 4:30 in Palo Alto. It would seem nice to be able to caravan, so I'm going to suggest that we all meet at 6:30 in Marin at a place Bradley Prunehead suggested, which I believe is called something like the Marin Brewing Company (?). There we'll of course have beer, and hopefully there'll be a place nearby to get some pizza/whatever. Thereafter, we can caravan up 101 and then over to the coast to Gualala, which is north of Sea Ranch.

Now the problem may be that Gualala (which doesn't take reservations) will have become full by the time we all arrive late(r) in the evening. But, the good part will be that we'll all be together and can collectively search for an alternative site without worrying about stray members. The seems to be preferable to two or so of us going up early and not being sure if we can reserve more than one site. Also, it was the concensus of the group that it would be fun to caravan. I have a CB, and Prunehead has offered to wire up two of his portable CB's for you (Albrecht and Ken), so that we can all communicate while driving from Marin to the coast. Also, at least having dinner together will be more fun than being all separated at this time.

Along those lines, I suggest since there are so few of us (and certain members have specific dietary preferences), that we not do as I had suggested earlier about the potluck for thie trip, but that we just rather each bring our own food for the entirety of the weekend. If you want to bring something to share in the way of snacks or dessert, this would seem a nice idea, but no one will be depending on it. Also, keeping in the tradition of vanagon.lenti, I rather imagine that many of us will be bringing brews, and those are always interesting and fun to share and taste test, but again, this is not obligatory. Just bring what you like to eat and drink.

Keep in mind that the weather over at the coast may be very cold, and that in Lakeport quite the opposite. We're going to be taking some winding backroads to get from 101 over to Gualala, as there is not really a direct large-type highway, so you may want to bring your gas can, particularly as we will be travelling latish.

Think that's about it. Oh, Bradley - can you please post for us the location (and hopefully directions) of this brew place in marin (San Rafael, I think)? See you all on Friday, and if you have any questions, please feel free to phone me: 510.376.4321.

/martha