Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         17 Jul 95 20:29:00 -0700
From:         GOLDBERG_DAVID@tandem.com
Subject:      re: Squirting water on an oil cooler

> The only problem with sqirting water on any type of radiator is that it >short circuits the cooling process and actualy makes an engine retain >heat. If you keep the radiator nice and cool the engine gets really hot! >it's a short excersize in physics but if you think about it it makes a >lot of sense.

I can buy this if the thermostat is located in the radiator, thus it would read a lower temp, and not cool as effectively, but (correct me if I am wrong) doesn't the oil flow through the cooler regardless of the temp?

>The reason your engine stays cooler when it's rainy is that the >humidity is very high and water vapor carries heat away from the fins >faster than air. If you can find a way to prevent evaporation from >occuring on the fins when squirting the water it may actualy help but >I doubt it can be done easily.

The humidity when it rains point I have a problem with. I have lived in places where humidity and rain do not go hand in hand. For example, when I lived in Korea, there would be 90%+ humidity, yet it did not rain everyday, and conversly when I lived in El Paso, TX, there was rarely a rainy day where the humidity was high, or even mildly high.

>Scott

David 74 Thing

It's the car, right. Chicks love the car - Batman to Dr. Chase Meridian Batman Forever