Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jul 1995 09:09:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Mark A Kunkel <kunkema@mail.auburn.edu>
Subject:      Bus queries

Here are a few questions for the collective net wisdom--

1. Lots of talk lately about oil temperature measurement. What about keeping the stuff cooler in the first place? On my last bus, the 1973 that made it to and from Yucatan faithfully and was mercilessly put on the auction block on its return (ARRGGGHHH!-- a long story involving air conditioning, cruise control, three children, a non-Spartan SO, and a *&^% T****** mini-van), I had installed one of RVEECO's oil coolers. You know, the kind that mount outside the engine compartment and have the bypass valve at the filter. It seemed to work very well and got us home. Alas, I didn't have the good sense to pull the thing before selling the bus, and now that I'm back in the bus business for the last four years (and the SO still has the nameless mini-van), I'm wondering what ever happened to RVEECO and those coolers. Anybody using external mount auxiliary coolers with good success?

It seems to me that temperature measurement is sort of like autopsy?

2. Anybody having good luck with piggyback solonoids to solve hot starting (ahem, non-starting) problems in the old buses? My '79 does fine around town, but after a long (i.e., >100 miles or so) trip I have to roll under there and do the screwdriver across the terminals routine before she'll start up. What are folks doing, short (hmmm...) of starter rebuilds?

3. A weird question. I developed the habit of shifting occasionally without the clutch (dating to a period of a couple of days when I had to drive with a broken clutch cable--long story). I still catch myself doing this occasionally. Does this damage stuff? It seems to me that if one possesses sufficient coordination not to grind too much tranny metal, this is relatively benign. Perspectives welcomed.

GREAT list. De-lurk mode off for a while, I guess.

Mark Kunkel '79 Camper