Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         18 Jul 1995 12:24:39 -0700
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Re: fizzix ?

RE>>fizzix ? 7/18/95

As an EE (long ago) who was forced to take a manditory course in thermodynamics that I never partilcularly appreciated, and If I remember enought thermo (take heat in thermo we used to say) - I concur with the person (AI?) who talked about heat transfers in the following vein:

o Coolant temp is on the order of 200 F. o Radiator sheet metal is exposed to local ambient, less than 200 F o Xth law of thermo says heat transfer is from high to low => coolant transfers heat to radiator sheet metal. o yth law of thermo says heat transfer quantity is related to delta temp across boundry, therefore the cooler the radiator sheet metal is relative to the coolant, the higher the transfer rate. o If you cool the radiator sheet metal to a lower temp, it will transfer heat from the coolant at a faster rate/higher quantity because of the greater delta t o Therefore: If you throw cool water at the radiator sheet metal (or for that matter blow cold are at it instead of local ambient), and assume that the sheet metal temperature approaches the temp of the coolant on the other (inside) side, about 200 F, the water will absorb heat from the external side of the radiator. This will: - Heat the cool water - Hasten the evaporation of the applied cool water which because of the specific heat of evaporation (change of state) absorbes even more heat - Remove heat from the outside of the radiator - Lower the temperature of the outside of the radiator - Increase the delta t between the cooled outside of the radiator resulting in increased transfer of heat from the coolant to the radiator to the evaporating water to the external environment.

Regarding the demonstration described with an acutal running engine, I would be inclined to accept the explation put forth related to the thermostat being so located that it too was cooled with the radiator, closing in response and hence the climb in engine temp.