Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jul 1995 14:54:02 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      PVC pipe awning trick

Several weeks ago, some one suggested that a simple awning could be fabricated for cheap by cutting through one side (lengthwise) of a pvc pipe and attaching it on top of the rain gutter with your favorite tarp placed (trapped) in between. Cherry and I went camping last weekend and used the pvc pipe awning set up with great results! I took the time to file or round off the sharp corners/edges that were left behind by the table saw. I also opened up/rounded off the ends of the pipe by creating a little "v" that stradles the cut by 1/4" on either side off the cut and is at sort of a 45 degree angle. The V cut helped to attach the pipe to the gutter. There is no reason to run/slide the pipe down the length of the rain gutter. The pipe slips neatly into place and holds firm. There was no sign of scratching the paint. I used 3/4" schedule 40 pipe. The 10 foot length needs to be cut down to the length that you think is right. Exact science is not needed for this application. Use ropes and trees or tent poles for the other end of your awning. This set-up appears to work on all years and the price is right. Ms. Martha would have been real proud of us.