Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:02:09 -0400
From:         wpc@po.cwru.edu (William Claspy)
Subject:      Re: heat riser, jumping tranny

Richard sez: > >Dean writes... >> I got the crew cab home this weekend and the heat riser tube on the dp >> manifold is rusted thru and broken on the left side. Is there a way to fix >> this or do I need a new manifold. I know this is important for >> driveability, warmup, etc, so I want to have it working. > >I'd rather have it, than not. DP intake manifolds should be cheap at >junkyards. I have several I couldn't sell for $1 each at a swap-meet. > >> Can the stock, cheap beetle mufflers be used on '68-'71 type 2s? > >Yes, they can. If the tailpipes rub on the bumper, bend them down.

I've done this too. Twice. No problem. From what I understand, it'll even goose a few more hp's outta your engine. Less restrictive or some such.

>> Also, what causes the trans to jump out of fourth gear when it gets worn. >> What parts need to be replaced to fix this. It would be nice to have it >> right instead of using the bungee method, although the bungee method is >> probably much cheaper. > >You answered your own question. Wear makes these transaxles jump out of >gear. I'd get a rebuilt transaxle, or buy William Claspy's, wpc@po.cwru.edu, >good used box.

You *could* drain the tranny, refill it with good tranny oil, maybe some STP or similar tranny additive and see what happens. But personally, I like Richard's solution ;-) I might even have a DP intake manifold I could add to the deal!

Cheers! Bill

William Claspy wpc@po.cwru.edu "Stay cool, calm, collected and crazy"- Wavy Gravy