Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jul 95 10:15:12 EDT
From:         jms@ludwig.att.com (538280000-Sharpe)
Subject:      a bunch of things...

1. to Dean and his amazing jumping tranny...

your 4th gear synchronizer is shot, I had a '65 Bug that did this, first time it happened it scared the crap out of me, engine revving wildly, drove home holding the shift lever, I had the trans replaced with a used one after 2nd gear developed a problem of not being able to down shift into it, a real problem when going into a turn.

2. to John Brown and his backwards twisted struts...

I replaced the struts on my '86 just a few weeks ago, the old ones were backward from Bently, no big deal, the struts are under a lot of pressure, so turning by hand is difficult, install the flat end and twist the other, use a pole or a helper to hold the hatch open, it's heavy, it's great having new struts, BTW I was camping this weekend and noticed one of those Dodge/Chrysler products with a pole holding it's hatch up, not a VW exclusive problem, they just were out.

3. to Mark Kunkel, hard starting hot engine & clutchless shifting...

I use to be on the VINTAGVW listserv and the thread to solve hard starting was to clean or replace all terminals in the starter circuit including ground straps, sometimes the big wire from the battery to the started had to be replaced.

A friend of mine use to do clutchless shifting in his '82 Mazda GLC and still does in his '88 Mazda B2200, he was very good at it, never had any clutch or tranny problems.

4. to Rusty VanBondo and the PVC pipe awning trick...

I tried this same set up this weekend when I was camping, but I didn't like relying on friction to hold the pipe/tarp to the gutter. I'm planning on cutting the pipe in half and to drill holes for a carriage bolt and wing nut to make more of a mechanical clamp, I'll let you know how it works out. BTW I picked up the economy canopy from CAMPMOR, only $24.99 includes poles, ropes and stakes, a good deal at twice the price, also I cut the pipe into 2' sections so I could store it under the bench seat.

5. to Matt Goike and the number for WCM

if no one else told you, the phone number for West Coast Metric is, (310) 325-0005, FAX is (310) 325-9733, nice people, just orderd hub caps, a bumper cap and an interior dome light.

If you didn't figure it out, I'm on digest mode, John '86 Westy/Weekender