Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jul 1995 11:41:33 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      Re: Reenforced...Heater Tubes!

>On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, Mike White wrote: > >> > 1) How do I replace it--a competent local welder? >> > 2) What about the "insulating" sleeve and the tube to the rear heater? >> > 3) Is there a kit? >> Suggestions so far: *PVC pipe! *Driveline from an old Ford from a junk yard welded into place. *Old stove pipe painted grey (whatever).

Rusty sez: As part of the '67 Westy resto from Hell, I ordered a replacment "main heater tube" from one of the big name catalogue houses on the left coast. When it arrived, *a week later*, it was the same tubing that is readily available at any local muffler shop. It cost me shipping, was 2" too short, and I ended up at the muffler shop anyway. From what I experiernced, if the "main heater tube" is rusted out there is a greater than 50 percent chance that the connecting tubes on either end will be in similar shape. Use the muffler shop and local junk buses if they are available. Replacing the grey insulating jazz around them is another adventure yet to come. Don't flame me for being in Arizona where the mythical junkyards are on every corner and they all have tons of bitchen dry stuff in them. Those days are long gone. I had the *pleasure* of having to replace all of the heater tubes from the front vertical piece in the cab back to the exit point beside the tranny. It took me awhile to get decent replacement heater tubing pieces. I can imagine the fun involved for y'all in the rust zones! *No .sig by popular demand*