Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jul 1995 11:04:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Questions re: Steve's response

>A point of clarification. Would a reasonable substitute for a C rated tire >on a Vanagon be a higher rated standard car tire? If I understand Steve's >point a stiffer sidewall would provide better handling so it might be wise >to go to tire rated for ahigher speed to gain that advantage.

Bingo, as far as handling goes-- that was my point exactly.

Not sure what a C rated tire is-- is that a speed rating like H, S, etc., or is it an indication of an increased load rating, such as LT tires for light trucks in this country?

Normal passenger car tires have max load and pressure restrictions on the side of the tire, such as "MAX LOAD 980 LBS AT 35 PSI MAX PRESSURE", or some such. It varies slightly with the manufacturer, tire model, etc. Light-truck tires also have such ratings, but they tend to be a lot higher, such as 1750 pounds at 50 psi or so. This is accomplished by building thicker, stiffer sidewalls, usually with 6 plies instead of 4, and doing other things to strengthen the tire. I would guess that these mods also stiffen the tire, and may make hadling better. But since I've never put these reinforced tires on my buses (and never had a problem with the passenger-car tires I've always used), I can only guess at the effects on handling.

Buses have a VERY high payload capacity, in case you've never looked in your owner's manual-- I believe some can carry up to one ton of people, suitcases, bricks, firewood, or what have you. If you do this, THEN I recommend you use the reinforced light-truck tires! But the bus alone is fairly light-- if you are only going to haul the wife and kids around, and the occasional couch or small load of lumber, then passenger car tires should be fine-- they work for me.

If in doubt, measure the load you want to carry, add the weight of the bus, occupants, and fuel, divide by 4, and compare to the load rating on the tires. Rear tires often carry the heavier part of the load-- add 10% or so to be safe. If you are approaching the max load rating on the tire, better make two trips, or consider getting light-truck tires.

-Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter never overloaded... yet