Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 1995 07:46:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Big Trip Report [Part 2, long]

Part II: Baja California, Mexico

I'm finally getting down to putting out my trip report for the Big Trip Christa and I took Jan - Mar this year in our much-loved '76 westy. Last week I told about the first stage of our trip, through the states from Vancouver, B.C. to the Mexican border inspection(?) station at Tijuana, Mexico. The story continues, just as we pass through the border and onto the streets of Tijuana..... Tobin

-- Jan 19, 1995 --

Okay, maybe we crossed at a bad time, but almost instantly the traffic went to hell. There were no lane markings on the road, so the width of the traffic flow was simply a function of the width of the roadway, which was varying substantially on an on-going basis. The route to Ensenada pulled us through city streets, several highway-like cloverleaf interchanges, and along a higher- speed road that was interspersed with unsigned "topes"--axle- breaking monster speed bumps that couldn't be negotiated faster than walking speed. Christa directed me rapid-fire, like an auctioneer. We'd do a high-speed merge into the right lane of a heavily traveled road only to have to do a left lane exit a hundred yards later. Everyone was driving very aggressively, hammering through corners and on- and off-ramps as fast as they could go.

After 5 minutes or so of this, I realized I was _really_ enjoying myself! Christa was having fun, too! I had installed convex mirrors on both sides of the van, and they were invaluable since they allowed me to cut people off with confidence. Years of bicycle racing helped me work within the traffic, pushing from one lane to the other. I hadn't ever cornered the bus really hard before, and was pleased to see it actually handled pretty well once I got a feel for it. Things flew around in back for the first few minutes, but soon entropy had re-organized the car to its liking and things settled down.

Before long, we were clear of the congestion in Tijuana and cruising along the highway, paralleling the beach. Gorgeous coast line, and we had thousands more miles of it to come! We exited the toll road as quickly as possible and settled into the slower pace of the free "libre" road which winds along the coast and through the coastal hills. The libre road is much slower than the 4-lane divided toll road, and has rough pavement and tight, blind curves, but is so much more "real" than the Mexican Interstate. We followed the libre road to Ensenada, passing from village to village, plugging up hill after hill, and often biding our time behind very slow trucks creeping up the steep grades.

Coming down a steep descent at the breakneck speed of perhaps 65 km/h the truck a few car lengths ahead of us blew a retread tire. I saw it starting to go, and backed off quickly. As it let go, big chunks of tire flew threw the air where we had been a few seconds before. Lesson: pay attention when driving in Mexico.

At Ensenada we got our tourist papers, some food, a lot of beer, and some really cheap Tequilla. Beer for 25 cents a bottle, a big bottle of Cuervo Gold Tequilla for about $4.50. Ok, let's go! I was really tempted to buy the 5-gallon jug of the "Viva Villa!" Tequilla (the label had a really cool picture of a matador-type guy with a bottle in his hand while riding a rearing horse) for FIVE BUCKS, but Christa wisely pointed out that I wouldn't be much good for driving if I went blind from drinking the stuff.

We continued south, and headed for some cheap camping sites near La Bufadora suggested in Carl Franz's RV Camping in Mexico book. We missed the turn-off for highway 23 in Maneadero the first time by, so we doubled back, found it, and headed west. A few miles past Punta Banda we saw a sign "Campo #8 Camping 3 pesos." OK! Down a steep dirt track and we were settled into a beautiful cliff-top site overlooking the Pacific and across the Bahia de Todos Santos to Ensenada. We had a beautiful dinner, drank some beers, pulled in Radio Canada International on the short wave, and went to sleep to the sound of the surf washing in below us.

The next morning we drove the few miles further west to see La Bufadora, which is supposed to be a blow hole in the shoreline rocks which blasts spray skyward with each wave. We were there at maybe 7:00 am, and hardly anyone was around. Unfortunately, the tide must have been wrong, because there was surf, but no Bufadora action. Oh, well, we had the road ahead of us, so on we went.

South of Maneadero, the road continued through a flat valley for awhile, with rich farmland on both sides. We cruised along in the morning sunshine, happily swerving to avoid potholes, grazing cattle, large roadkill, farm machinery, small school children, other drivers swerving to avoid stuff on their side of the road, and drivers passing in the on-coming lane. I was a little tense about this early in our Mexico travels, but after a few days it became normalized.

We pulled off for breakfast under some trees after driving for an hour or so. Fresh orange juice, yogurt, granola with dried raspberries. Yum! We piled back into the camper and continued south. It was already warm, and would only get warmer. It reached maybe 70 degrees F that day, and each day would get warmer as we drove for the Tropic of Cancer.

We reached La Paz in two and a half days. We drove pretty steadily, because Christa's sister was going to be staying in Puerto Vallarta and was arriving in just a few days. Even though we drove the Baja faster than we otherwise might have, we made sure to stop frequently and explore the desert. The rains in California had apparently given some moisture to the Baja as well, and the desert was lush with green, and fragrant with flowers.

In our first full day in Mexico we didn't quite make it to Guerrero Negro, so with night falling and fuel running low, we decided to find some free camping on the beach at El Tomatal, about 65 km north of Guerrero Negro. I marked the odometer at Rosarito, and drove the 10.4 miles indicated by the AAA map to the dirt road leading to the beach. In rapidly darkening dusk, we saw no road at 10.4 miles. I took a dirt track off the highway at closer to 11 miles. It had recent tire tracks, so I felt ok. The road quickly turned into a maze of rough tracks, forking here, joining there. We headed generally west, figuring the Pacific lay that way, and beaches are generally found near oceans. It continued to get darker, and stars were joining Venus in the sky. We continued west, crossing an occasional sandy stream bed, strandling DEEP wash outs in the road, and trying to keep momentum as I felt the camper sickeningly sink into sand traps. After several miles and nearly half an hour of this, it was completely dark. We decided to pack it in, and pulled off the "road" into the desert (after checking the soil for driveability!) to spend the night. I turned off the motor, and we heard surf not far away. It was too dark to see anything. We went to bed.

We got up at dawn the next morning. Ah, there's the ocean, not 200 yards away! So we drove down and had breakfast on the rocky beach. Back to the car, we picked our way along this road-maze, heading generally east. We had to hit the highway eventually, so we just crashed along and filled the van up with dust. After about 20 minutes, I saw the highway to my left.

"Look!" I shouted to Christa excitedly, pointing to the highway. "Look out!" Christa shouted at me even more excitedly, pointing in front of us. I looked up and see that the road was totally washed out. A vertically sided channel 2 feet deep and nearly 3 feet across cut straight across the road directly in front of us. "Sh*t!", I explained intelligently. It was too late for me to hit the brakes--I'd just slide into it, and it would swallow up our car. So I put the accelerator down, and kept it down. The front end dropped into the channel, and dirt flew up in front of us. We nearly bounced off the roof, but the seatbelts held us down. We lost half our speed, but the front end plowed through. The rear end dropped in, the revs pick up, then dropped, and our little bus struggled up the other side. We made it across, right way up, and still on the road! In disbelief, I stopped the car.

Heavy, clay-like dirt was sticking to the leading edge of the front bumper. Dirt was piled up on top of the bumper. The license plate was contoured to the car. The pan under the pedals was pushed in, and everything under the car--torsion arms, tie rods, axle beam, frame members, tranny housing, driveshafts, everything--was plastered with dirt. Shocks appeared to still be connected, our camper is sitting straight with no obvious sags, and the front wheels seemed more or less parallel. Lesson: pay attention when driving in Mexico. I drove carefully onto the highway, and tried to feel for any strange noises or handling problems for the next few miles. No problems! Good camper!

We stopped for groceries and ice in Guerrero Negro. As we pulled into the lot, we saw a (72?) westy in the lot. Of course, we parked next to it. Inside the store, we played "spot the VW bus driver." No contest. We talked for a while, then finished our shopping. Out in the lot, a vanagon pulled up, and the guy behind the wheel invited us to join him that night at Playa Santispac on the Bahia Concepcion, south of Mulege. Turns out the 72 westy, this guy, and another bus are all travelling together. Cool! These guys wanted to hang out in town for a while longer, while we wanted to get rolling, so we told them we'd meet up with them later.

About 75 miles later, as we're cruising along (at our usual 57 mph) crossing the desert plateau towards the Gulf of California, I saw a couple of westies way back in my rearview mirror. A minute later, these guys were a LOT closer. They blow by me at close to 75 mph, honking and waving. Whoa, too fast for us; we're in this for the long haul. I let them go, and kept our speed right where it was, and patted our camper on the dashboard for reassurance.

A little while later, we passed them again at a viewpoint overlooking the Gulf of California, just before the road drops off the plateau down to the Gulf. Highway signs warned of a long steep descent, sharp curves, and begged drivers to conserve their brakes. I'd already shifted in to third, but I decided to drop down to second to play it safe. It was just as I was matching the revs for this shift that we passed our high-balling vanagon friends. They turned from the viewpoint to see us waving, engine crackling as I'm backing hard on the motor. They ran to their busses.

I took my time working down the hill, using the brakes only before particularly sharp or blind corners. About halfway down, vanagon- boy blows by me again on a less-sharp curve. He kisses the shoulder, kicking up dust; his van yaws as he corrects the skid, and he continues barreling down the road disappearing from sight a mile of so later. The other guy hangs back, and passes me at the bottom of the hill.

We stopped at the ferry terminal in Santa Rosalia for some information on the La Paz - Mazatlan route, and were even hoping we might be able to make reservations. When we got to the terminal we saw that it had closed for the day minutes before, and there was no one around (or they all hid when they saw us coming). No big deal, we thought, and we continued south. A couple of miles south of town, Christa saw a patch of beautiful wildflowers growing at the side of the road. We pulled over in a cloud of dust, and Christa wandered through the flowers. She said, "I wish we had a blumenvase!" I pulled an empty Coke can out of the trash, cut the top off it with my jack knife, and duct-taped it to the dash board. We put some water in it, and Christa stuck a bunch of flowers in. Ta da! We had fresh flowers in our little blumenvase every day for the next month. Christa was very happy, and our camper looked pretty happy, too.

At Playa Santispac, we pulled over and went to meet these fellows. Their campsite is on the beach with about a kajillion other RVs in a huge flat lot. There's a booth at the entrance where a guy collects $10.00 a night per vehicle. We gave him a buck, telling him we're just going to meet somebody. This place looked like the parking lot at Camping World.

We found vanagon-boy and his pal. The 72 hadn't arrived yet. We pulled over, and vanagon-boy offered us a beer. He's also got a large box full of hard stuff, and even though he couldn't have arrived more than half an hour ahead of us, it's pretty clear he's already been into it. We talk buses. He'd dropped a Rabbit engine in his Vanagon after he'd blown the diesel engine.

He asked about our camper, and I told him it was pretty much stock, and that I took care of it and never drove it hard. When he learned we were headed for the mainland, he became concerned for us. "Those type IV motors can't handle Mexico, you know. They overheat in all the heat and humidy you get on the mainland." Oh. Well ours will be fine; I'll baby it along; it won't let us down. "Well," he says, "I took buses like yours over there 4 times and blew 4 motors!"

I thought this wasn't really surprising considering the way he drove his van. When he brought out a generator to run his blender (and TV? He had a TV/VCR in there!) we were sure this was not our scene. We thanked him for the beer, and he wished us luck. We hopped back in our camper, and drove (no faster than 57 mph) to Loreto for the night.

We spent a perfectly awful night at a pay RV park in Loreto. The site was just a gravel lot, and the town was touristed to the max. A huge RV caravan had taken every possible spot, 2 deep, along the entire beachside road. Even if the RV park was a block or two from the beach, at least it had showers, so we got clean. As we settled into bed, we realized the house next door was actually a local dance club, so the music kept us awake--even over the sound of our fan, which we hooked up to AC power without paying for. At two in the morning, we finally got to sleep. At 3:20 in the morning, roosters all over town (and in the adjacent lots on all sides of us) started crowing. In semi-sleep, I dreamt of ringing their necks. All of them. Christa dreamt of rooster stew. By 4:00 it was clear we weren't going to sleep, so we dressed, unplugged the hook up, closed the pop-top, and rolled out of town in the pitch dark a little after 4:00 in the morning.

We drove down the highway at about 35 mph, swerving around cattle and other livestock out wandering the highways, and avoiding most of the larger potholes. Occaisonally a car with no lights on or a big express bus would pass by, but there was otherwise no traffic at this hour. The highway belonged to the animals.

Gradually the sky began to lighten, and I could pick up the speed a little bit. We were back on the plateau heading west again when the sun came up. By 8:00 were were in Ciudad Insurgentes, and we filled up with gas. By mid-day we rolled into La Paz, over 900 miles from the California border. It was Sunday, and the office for the ferry to the mainland was closed. In fact, most everything seemed to be closed. We wandered along the beautiful harbour front on foot for a while, then started to head back to the camper. Crossing a street, we saw a synchro westy with Oregon plates. We waved, but then realized by their awkward delay in waving back that VW-waving isn't the same if you're not in a VW. Hmmm. So we ran back to the camper, jumped in and headed out to the beaches north of town in hopes of finding the synchro.

We drove along the shore, passing the ferry docks at Pichilingue, then turned left for the beach at Playa Balandra. There was the synchro! We pulled up, and waved (again) to the owners, who were lounging on the beach. We went over and talked, had a few beers, then Christa and I walked around the point to another beach, hidden from sight. Azure water, white sand, and no one around except the pelicans which crashed into the water from time to time. Nice spot, but no road access, even if we had a synchro. Oh, well. Signs at the parking lot said no camping allowed, so we moved on, looking for the free beach-side camping areas described in Carl Franz's RV Camping book. A few kilometres later, we arrived at Playa Tecolote and found a spot right on the beach.

At first we thought we'd check out the situation here, then move a kilometre or two down the coast to a more isolated spot. There were, after all, maybe a dozen RVs of various descriptions parked along the beach here, and we weren't sure if we wanted to be part of a big free RV park. The discovery of a make-shift restaurant run by Mario and his wife of thirty years, Secora, changed our mind. Mario, Secora, and their children lived in an old broken- down greyhound bus parked on the beach. They had cooking stuff arranged outside, and 10 or so tables set up on the sandy beach. Each morning Mario would row his boat out and catch what he would serve for lunch and dinner. And they really knew how to cook! A huge, excellent dinner with a couple of beers for each of us would come to about 60 pesos (ten American dollars), including a big tip. So we stayed parked close on the beach, and ate at Mario's place every chance we had. The RVers staying at the beach were pretty cool, too. Most of them were Canadian, and most were friendly, although they weren't in our faces all the time.

Parked next to us were some Germans who had come over with their own vehicles. Two of these rigs were huge Unimog type RV units, with self-contained washrooms, showers, loads of solar panels, and each one had a medium-sized motorcycle INSIDE a special compartment at the back. The tires were probably 4 or 5 feet tall; the bumpers were over 3 feet off the ground, and they had almost 3 feet ground clearance before they had to even worry about hitting anything. The guys spent a lot of time outside at a portable table with 2 laptop computers, and looking over their shoulders, it looked like they were running Netscape. Could that be right? There were no hookups of any kind here: no phone, no power, no water, nothing. Were they running via satelite (they had a dish)? Cellular phone? I didn't ask, but I wish now I had. Their units were manufactured by a joint venture of MAN and... wait for it... VW! The third vehicle in their group was a high top monster Vanagon LT. I'd heard these things were made, but never seen one. It was about a third again the size of a North American vanagon, with the same proportions. It looked really nice. And Martha, David Garth and others: it had a fully enclosed self contained shower in the bathroom with hot and cold water!

We had originally planned to just spend the night here and take the ferry the next day to Mazatlan, but the beach was so gorgeous that we decided Christa's sister would just have to entertain herself for a few days as we got our fill of this place. We also spend several hours on each of the next two days (and about half a tank of gas) driving between the ferry office in La Paz, the ferry office at the docks at Pichiligue, and the customs offices in Pichiligue trying to get all the paperwork needed to temporarily import a vehicle onto the mainland, and to get a ferry ticket for our camper. I won't bore you with the bureaucratic process here, but suffice to say there are about 10 things we needed to get; they had to be obtained in the correct sequence; nobody could tell us what all these things were, or what the required sequence was; and all the officials knew only about their own step in the process, and nothing else. After much wrangling, frustration, and shuttling back and forth over the same 20km stretch of road, we finally had our papers, our hologram sticker of the windshield, and our tickets for the ferry (stamped "Confirmado"). We had a celebratory dinner at Mario's.

The next morning we broke camp, stored everything away carefully, and prepared our portable cooler with food for the 17 hour crossing to Mazatlan on the Mexican mainland.. We arrived at the ferry dock an hour early, and had the length of our camper measured (4.53m with the spare on the front). By 2:00 in the afternoon, we were loading. We were one of the first vehicles onto the car deck. We were directed up to an inch behind the truck in front of us. We had about 3 inches to the car behind us. We were about a foot from the side of the ship on the driver's side, and a big truck left us about 6 inches on the passenger side. We grabbed our stuff, squeezed out the driver's door, and climbed over bumpers working our way to the stairs up to the decks. We sat in the sun on the aft decks, watching the loading proceed. After about an hour, the ramp was raised, the lines cast free, and we slowly pulled away from the dock.

As we rounded the point we could see the free camping beach at Playa Tecolote. As the sun set, Baja California gradually disappeared in the distance, the stark outline of the jagged mountains cutting across the horizon under glowing orange and pink clouds. It started to get cold, so we moved inside. After several hours trying to sleep in cramped "salon" (coach) seating, with incredible noise from crying children, Mexican TV, drinking teenagers, boom-boxes, and the blaring mariachi music at the candy/pop shop, we decided to splurge on the extra 120 pesos ($20 US) and get a room with a bunk. Well worth it. We crashed out, and slept soundly as the ship rolled through the swells..

Some time in the night, we had crossed the Tropic of Cancer. When we awoke in the early morning, we knew we were in the tropics. The air was hot, humid, and had a jungle feel to it. We could see the mainland in the distance ahead of us. After a shower (ah!) and breakfast, we joined everyone else on deck as we entered the harbour in Mazatlan. Thick jungle covered the hillsides, and sweat was already beginning to dampen my shirt. Jungle! THIS is what I came for. This was an exotic, alien land for me; I'd never been anywhere like this.

We weren't in Kansas anymore.

[Next week: the Mexican mainland.]

Tobin ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)