Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jul 1995 07:46:33 -0500
From:         dbax@mindspring.com (Donald Baxter)
Subject:      Hot Feet in '85 GL

Dear fellow listmembers:

It's been hot here in Atlanta, GA, as it has been in most of the East and Mid-west these days and I have been using my new AC compressor a lot. It seems to work pretty well until it gets into the 90s. One of the reasons that I think it doesn't work well when it's hotter is that the floorboard at the front of the van gets really hot. I have blocked off my fresh air intake with foam rubber stuffed in since the fresh air leaks even when the lever is in the off position, so hot air isn't coming into the van. My second seat passengers report that the AC works well for them, and the van miraculously seems to never overheat even when stopped in horrendous Atlanta traffic jams--the needle of the temperature gauge just gets slightly above the LED warning light so that the LED can be seen, but never higher.

I have noticed that the problem gets worse when the van gets hot enough that the second stage fan switch kicks the fan speed into "high". Is there some way to insulate the firewall so that the heat is less of a problem? Anyone have any specifically creative solutions to this?

Although the AC compressor seems to work well, it groans rather loudly--the shop that installed the compressor just shruggs.

Donald Baxter _________________________________________________________ Donald Baxter Atlanta, Georgia 404.874-3292 (home) <dbax@mindspring.com> 404.447.6831 (work) <dab1@jhk.com>

_________________________________________________________ "I dreamed about Ray Charles last night and he could see just fine you know. I asked him for a lullaby, he said 'honey I don't sing no more.' 'Since I got my eyesight back my voice has just deserted me. 'No 'Georgia on My Mind' no more, I stay in bed with MTV.'"

Joan Osborne 'Spider Web'