Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 1995 10:34:38 -0700
From:         nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu (Martha Rubin)
Subject:      bill of sale stuff

Thanks to the many of you who responded regarding my bill of sale question.

I'm not sure that things would always go as smoothly as I had the luck to experience, but here were my experiences, just for the record. This was all regarding the purchase of my '74 Thing for $500.

1. I was lacking a bill of sale. The AAA did not ask for one.

2. I had the pink slip with the previous owner releasing interest in the vehicle, but he had failed to list and sign the odometer reading. AAA let me write in the miles myself, and didn't ask for a signature from the previous owner.

--

This all may have had to do with the age of the car. I understand that they can be a lot more picky with newer cars, especially after '85.

By the way, I did have a valid smog report and certificate to present them. AND the pink slip I had was not for junk/salvage, but a regular valid title, and still current at that.

For some complicated reasons, I registered this 5 weeks after the previous owner signed off, so I had to pay some penalty, but it wasn't much. At the same time I transferred ownership, paid sales tax, doc fees, paid one year ahead, bought new license plates, new registration, interest, all necessary fees, and penalties, and the total bill was $111. I'm supposed to receive my new pink slip in the mail withing 2-3 weeks. All in all, I didn't think this was much hassle, or THAT expensive, considering the tardiness, and the things missing. This may all have been due to the fact that I went to AAA, rather than DMV.

Also, I learned something. I had thought that any parking tickets were liened against the car, but the AAA woman informed me that they follow the previous owner. In this case there weren't any, so it was a moot point.

Thanks, all of you, for all the help!

---------------- /martha rubin <nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu> '81 Westy (puke-eggnog-ivory) type 231 (?) '74 Thing/Safare/Acalpulco (even pukier camouflage) type 181 '79 Bug 'vert (triple white) type 115 Still lusting after a DC blender and coffee-grinder.