Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 1995 15:13:17 +0000
From:         Tom_Quan@smtp.svl.trw.com (Tom Quan)
Subject:      Re: 79 Bus Fuel Gage Problems

In article <3u0p9g$ac6@lll-winken.llnl.gov>, John Taylor <taylor12@llnl.gov> wrote:

> My '79 bus has had a fuel gage problem ever since I bought it and it's > now time to fix it. It reads full right after a fill up but drops > completely off the scale at about 6 to 7 gallons used. Can someone tell > me what the resistance range of the the sender should be? (I read 6 ohms > [Rest of message deleted]

I had the exact same problem on my '78 camper. I believe you have a fuel sender that opened in the middle. A new sender's resistance at full scale is much lower than 240K ohms, mine was in the neighborhood of 80 to 100 ohms, I believe. Before I fixed the problem by replacing the sender, I fooled around with the voltage stabilizer adjustment, to no effect.

If you have the "toilet bowl float" type fuel sender, like I got, you CAN take out the old and put in the new without yanking your engine or undoing the fuel tank straps or chopping holes in your bus. If you unbolt the crossmember supporting the motor mounts and lower the engine about an inch or 2, you should have enough room to remove the sheet metal cover for the fuel tank. Clean the area above the fuel tank with a wet rag. Take an old screwdriver and bend the blade into a mini "backhoe" and use this to turn the twist-lock cap for the fuel sender. I managed to to get the sender out by shoving it through the gap on the right (the passenger side), though at times, I didn't think it was possible.

Good luck. Even though I don't remember doing it myself, you should disconnect the battery and have a fire extinguisher handy. BTW, I would not have known about this technique had not another netter, Monique Deveux (spelling?) wrote a reply to my posting earlier this year; thanks Monique!

-- Tom Quan

Tom_Quan@smtp.svl.trw.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)