Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         01 Aug 1995 12:58:12 EST
From:         "Tom Forhan" <TFORHAN@hr.house.gov>
Subject:      Oversize Tires for Syncro Westies

I recieved several direct responses to my post regarding oversize tires and how the fifth one might - or might not - fit in the spare tire well. There were also some questions from others, so I put all the pieces together so that someone with similar questions can find the answers (or opinions) on the list or in the archives.

Thanks to Derek, Joel, Harry, Paul and Tim, from whom the following is cut, pasted and deduced:

What: Upgrade Syncro to LT 27x8.5x14 tires. In my case, I am going for BF Goodrich AT (AT=All Terrain, I believe). Other tread patterns and other manufacturers also available, but my first choice, Goodyear AT-S Wranglers are not available in this (slightly oddball) size. LT is for Light Truck, with heavier sidewalls, higher weight capacity, and running at higher pressures.

Why: This will increase ground clearance by 1" but you will have worse acceleration. Be clear on whether you prefer ground clearance or acceleration. VW calculates that you lose 10% acceleration power with this larger tire. Heavier sidewalls improve ride. But the tire turns the Vanagon Syncro into a sleeper--a killer off road vehicle though you wouldn't know it from looking at it.

Where: (1) Only on the factory alloy wheels, these will not fit the narrower steel wheels that came stock on many Syncros. (2) The spare BF Goodrich 27 x 8.50 14 tire fits in the spare spot, but with grunting effort. Seat the tire slightly toward the passenger side or it will hit the steering shaft under there.

Who: Tom F. tforhan@hr.house.gov

1990 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Wagon IA Stage I 1990 VW Syncro Westie (almost) 1987 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon (For Sale)