Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Aug 1995 13:51:05 -0700
From:         "Erik Soule"  <erik@henries.nsc.com>
Subject:      Re: Oil Splatters in Engine Compartment

I've had this problem for several years on my '65, and never have been able to clean it up. I do have an aluminum pulley, so I'll try swapping it out with a stocker to see if that helps.

I too suspected the breathing, and went so far as to try vented valve covers and a separate breather box mounted on the ceiling of the engine compartment. It didn't do squat to help the oil misting problem.

BTW, is that what you guys are seeing....misting? My entire engine compartment gets coated, not just the pulley area.

I have noticed that the misting only occurs on the freeway or if I'm zooming up and down big hills. The oil mist covers the entire engine compartment and is virtually impossible to figure out where its coming from. I figure somehow oil is getting inside the fan shroud before it gets blown everywhere.

I also suspected the stock oil cooler seals, thinking that they may be leaking, allowing the oil drips to get sucked into the fan shroud. I replaced them and that didn't seem to help either.

I also have a full flow circuit with cooler and filter, but this part all seems pretty dry and tight.

I've had the problem ever since I rebuilt the motor, and have kind of run out of ideas.

-Erik

NSC Analog Automotive Systems Tel. (408)721-3476 Fax (408)721-8292 M/S C2611