Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 95 10:54:29 PDT
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Waterboxer Madness

J.A. McEachern Wrote:

>I have a friend who has a motor on order from VW. They said >that not were currently available in the country; VW factory >rebuild would be coming in from Canada. Any thooughts?

I think this has been the case for a while now, and not just for wasserboxers.

I picked up a flyer from the parts desk at Boardwalk VW in Redwood City, CA in the late '80s that described the VW engine rebuilding facility in Canada and showed several photographs a large open building with machining equip- ment sprinkled liberally around it. The article implied that all VWofA rebuilts <bugs, buses, rabbits, dashers, etc.> would be coming from there instead of Germany. The article's tone was one of building confidence in the Canadian engines - "the quality will be every bit as good as you have been accustomed to in the German factory rebuilds...." or something of that sort.

Anyway, the fact that the engine has to come from Canada is likely to be the norm and not an indication to speculate that there is another reason to panic about wasserboxer reliability. It's just those pesky leaks.....

Dave