Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Sep 95 13:48:37 EDT
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      Re: Tow Hitch

> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 21:08:46 -0400 > From: danmoy@netaxs.com (Dan_Moy) > Is there a 1 Ton (or 2000lb) 200 lb tounge tow hitch available for a 1984 > vanagon? > > I have already checked out the Vanagon automatrix.com web page's suggestions > and only found a 1500-150 lb tow hitch. Which would not be enough to tow my > beetles.

There is a mechanic in NY, who custom builds hitches for vanagons. His name is Dennis and number (evenings and weekends) is 516-563-8248. Derek Drew posted info on this about half a year ago. I got all the hitch threads on this list saved, so if you want it drop me a line. You can also look it up yourself in the list archives.

I just installed one of these hitches this weekend. It is a 2" receiver style. Mounts with six bolts to frame. Replaces standard bumper mounts, and bumper remounts to hitch assembly instead. The hitch sticks out a little bit in the back, and is not as inconspicous as some other receiver style hitches I've seen. The receiver is placed low, just 10" off the ground.

I'm happy with mine, and plan to use it for one of those "basket" things (wheelless trailer). My only problems were: The fit was so-so, so what should have been a 30min swap (the 6 bolts to the frame+four for the bumper) took me a good 3h of wrestling, first with the aid of so + breaker bar, later so + hydraulic jack to bend the hitch parts so they fit. (The misfit was only a couple of mm, but it's not easy to change the shape of steel of this dimension.

/Martin

PS: Anyone know of other places than Camping WOrld for those basket things? (I'd like the simple platform one, not the enclosed plastic box style)