Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         17 Sep 1995 20:32:21 GMT
From:         Martin_Skielboe@online.pol.dk (Martin Skielboe)
Subject:      need advice on timing marks & dwell meter

Yesterday, I went over the micro bus, adjusting, tuning and basically getting everything in order. As the new owner, a big part of this is acquiring a familiarity with the vehicles own idiosyncracies. Over all I think everything went well enough, but a couple of questions have arisen that I would really appreciate help with. -MThe first deals with the distinction between finding TDC and the 10DG BTDC marking. I know the manuals (Muir, Hayes and Chilton) lay out the procedure, but the problem I have with interpreting their instructions is that the pull wheel on the bus (and my bug) has only two notches, which I assume to be 7DG and 10DG respectively. So how then does one locate TDC? Please correct me if I'9ve got it wrong, but rather then use the split in the crank case as a reference, just a tweak to the left of the crack is a clearly made punch mark, and to the right of the crack, yet a further distance then the other, is a second punch mark. I used the right hand notch aligned with the left hand punch as the reference to TDC and used the same timing notch on the right hand punch as reference to the timing position. (I hope this is coming across, as I'9m worried that I might be doing damage if I got this all wrong). No manuals I have, and I'9ve got stack of them, makes any reference to punch marks in the case, yet they'9re on the bus and my '956 sedan. Is this a scandinavian thing? Supporting my interpretations are two very crudely etched scratches on the fly wheel which came pretty close, (they'9re kind a'9 giggly not I didn'9t have too much confidence in their accurancy) to TDC and the 180DG marking.

-The second problem is about using a tach-dwell-volt meter to correct the point'9s gap. Which is more accurate: physically measuring the 4 mm gap between the points or measuring a 50DG dwell, +/-2DG? I figure the dwell meter must be more accurate, so I went to the FLAPS to pick up a replacement unit. They had the same as what I'9ve got, made by Equis (I think), through the blister pack I could see all the settings for various voltage, yet a sticker placed on the package said for 12 volt applications only! I asked but... What'9s the picture here, can one get a 6 volt dwell meter? I am pretty worried that I might be assuming a bit much with my interpretations and will be grateful for any opinions and comments any one would care to share.

Glen Swanson 1956 de luxe daily driver 1961 221 bus