Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 1995 07:10:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Frank Condelli <ad793@freenet.carleton.ca>
Subject:      Re: 1987 Westy Problems

One more thing to look out for on your Vanagon's. The front control arm bushings. I just had to change mine. 170,000 km with new tires about two months ago and I just noticed the fronts wearing more on the inside. I bring it to the VW shop for alignment as the camber is probably out and he says he can't put it right cause the upper control arm bushings are gone. VW wanted $55.00 each bushing, there are four. I finally found them for $30. each and changed them myself. It's an easy job to do about a hour each side. Remove the upper control arm as you will need to cut the small tack weld the frisky little Germans put on the bushings to keep them from turning in the control arm. After that just hammer them out and hammer in the new ones. One other note about these Vanagons. If you have a locking gas cap keep your eye on it. I had a service station attendant put gas in and some how he did not get it put on right and it fell off somewhere. The kicker in all this is VW wants $95.00 for the thing, YETCH, for a gas cap ????? And one more thing while I'm in the mood. Water pumps. Where do we get GOOD ONES ?? I just had to change mine again ! Last one I put in last October so it didn't even make a year and not much milage either. The guy at the parts place told me I put the belt to tight, RIGHT ! I've been tightening fan belts for over 30 years now and have not lost a water pump before these. Seems to me a cheapo bearing or cheapo casting or an overall cheapo pump ! They go for $120.00 a pump up here. All these prices being quoated are in Canadian Dollars, the ones with the Beavers s on the back.

Cheers

Frank

-- * Frank Condelli * Almonte, Ontario, Canada * * ad793@Freenet.carleton.ca * MGB's and LIONEL Trains