Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 1995 14:55:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:         Edward van der Jagt <bivdjagt@cs.few.eur.nl>
Subject:      VW Euro  meeting

Last weekend the VW Euro meeting took place in Baarlo in the Netherlands. Though the event was from friday through sunday, I could only be there on sunday. But did I have a good time ! The event was held on an oval speedway, with cars covering nearly two third of the area. The rest was used by the swap-meet area and the sprint-track. Apart from lots of Bugs (the oldest one being from 1951, and the newest one having just 281 miles on the odometer), there were about 10 Bonito kit-cars, 2 Nova's, 2 SP-2, a 356 replica, about 30 or so busses. There were 2 double cab splitties, a long chassis singlecab, a wide bed single cab, and a unique bodied panelvan (a split-window) made specially for themepark `De Efteling'. The special thing about this van was that the cargo door was on the left, and it looked more like a vault-door than a normal door. On the right of the body, there was something with a filler cap recessed into the body (no, not the fueltank cap). On the back, on both sides of the hatch, two hooks were attached, probably for (flag)poles. Also present was a Fridolin van. Not between the show cars, but used by a company. (I have made a picture of it. If anyone is interested I'll scan it)

On the sprint track, all sorts of events were held: sprint, slalom, etc. On of the events was pulling and putting back the engine. Fastest times: 1 minute 16 seconds getting it out (though I will never let my engine drop that hard on the floor !), and 3 minutes 12 seconds putting it back in and driving away.

A lottery was also held, with a convertible bug as the 1st price. Needless to say, I didn't win it.

On the swapmeet there were enough bug parts to build a couple of complete cars with them. I took home a brand new underlined Volkswagen logo for the back of my bus for almost half the price used ones were going for.

The day before, there should have been a record attempt for the longest air-cooled traffic-jam. I forgot to ask if they have made it, but estimates before the show said there would be something like 3000 VWs. I'll post the result to the list, once I know if the have made it.

-- Edward bivdjagt@cs.few.eur.nl http://www.cs.few.eur.nl/~bivdjagt/

'71 Bus soon with an engine (and maybe license plates too !) '78 Bus soon te be without engine (and everything else too)