Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 1995 08:59:35 -0500
From:         dlm202@psu.edu (David J. Mancuso)
Subject:      Kalypso--Disaster Magnet

Hello All, My new job still prevents me from writing as often as I like, but here is an update on Kalypso, my '87 Westy.

First, John asked me about symptoms of my impending transmission doom. the first clue was when Kalypso seemed to jerk out of 4rth gear on a highway downshift rather violently. After that, the tranny didn't want to shift _out_ of 4rth gear. That was a definite symptom that the synchronizer band on 4rth gear wuz broke. The trans then lost reverse, first, and second. That was a symptom of total transmission damage.

The new trans shifts a little weird, but is loosening up as the miles go on. I'm changing the fluid (Redline, like the directions say) at 1000 miles, if I can find a drain plug (I don't see one yet--do I have to turn the van sideways to drain the trans oil?).

In other horrific news, at 2:20 AM on Saturday night, as I lay safely asleep, a kid running away from the police in a high speed car chase smashed into a parked Kalypso and ripped out the driver's rear corner of the bus. At least the police caught him. We're talking several new sections for repair. At least he didn't hit the large side panel. I'll post pictures if I can scan them in and anyone feels like donating the space on a www page.

I'll keep you posted on costs and repairs. At least I can tell the insurance company "hey, just look at the police report and fix my van."

Peace, Dave

dlm202@psu.edu David J. Mancuso

'87 Vanagon, Kalypso (11th in a series of fine VWs) '89 Jetta

The other nine? '73 VW 412 '71 Super Beetle '67 Fastback '77 Rabbit '73 VW 412 (another one, after the first one was totaled) '85 Golf '81 Dasher '74 Westy (Ulysses) '76 Westy (Hal)