Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 95 10:43:04 PDT
From:         Nick Pace <nickpace@rand.org>
Subject:      VW-Sunroof Cover - Vinyl or Canvas

Thom inquires (in part): -------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 16:54:14 -0700 (PDT) From: tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick) I'd like to get the 'net opinion on the advantages of vinyl vs canvass sunroof covers. I need to re-do mine purty soon. Here's what I have so far: Vinyl Canvass ......................... Any others would be appreciated... Thom --------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you're asking for a replacement for your stock sunroof cover but here's another option (assuming a stock look is of no importance). I made a "custom" cover for my '71 bus' sunroof since I had to yank the mechanical junk and seals a long time ago (it's now a manual slide; works but leaks like the Titanic). I bought a piece of acrylic material from a fabric store that is usually intended for sail and hatch covers on boats. It's been exposed to the sun and elements for seven years and has never faded, gotten moldy, stiffened up, and really never looks dirty (it's bright electric blue). The only drawback is that the material is not completely waterproof but is close enough for my purposes. Cost me about $35 for the material, the screw-in snap sets, and the little snap tool. Again, it is probably not what you're looking for but you did ask.....

Nick ------------------------ Nicholas Michael Pace RAND 1700 Main St., Santa Monica, CA 90407 Nick_Pace@rand.org voice:310-393-0411 ext. 6176 fax:310-393-4818