Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 1995 14:29:31 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Interbike '95 & Bergs shop

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Though this is not directly VW related, but I thought I would post the results of my survey of Interbike '95's bike carriers. Plus, I visited Gene Bergs shop and got a tour.

First, the bike carriers. I may have missed some, but I found no less then 16 manufacturers of bike carriers. I didn't bother describing all the configurations, much less the addresses and phone numbers of each company. I figured if you were interested you could do additional research.

Hollywood, receiver and rear mounts

BackPacker, receiver mount

Draftmaster, designed for vans so the bikes mount vertically on the back, I think they were receivers. Also used by racers because of the ease of getting to the bike on the run. I saw a tandem mount also.

Rhode Gear, Bumper/license plate and receiver mounts

Sport

RoofRax

AutoMaxi, roof mounts

Cycle Transfer (by Advent/Service Cycle) looks like a copy of others under a different name.

Allen

OSI

BDI, rear mount on license plate/bumper

RedRock, Swagman and Rak-N-Lok lines, both receiver and ball hitch mounts. Rak-N-Lok line uses a gas shock system to help lifting the rack away for rear mount access. They also have one that uses the spare tire mount.

Freidl

Zap

Grabber, bumper/license plate, receiver and ball hitch mounts. This model was diplayed by alot of distributors.

Bard-Wyers

Now I'm sorry I didn't do a more complete survey, but it was too much. Most of these are van mount type systems and alot of regular roof carriers were not represented, such as Yakima.

Other cool things at the Bike show were several folding, or breakaway bikes (that reduce the need for a rack). The Moulton was fabulous, though expensive. Also the Bike Friday, Dahon, Montague, Salsa breakaway. Santana also had a breakaway tandem displayed.

For those with less leg power there were a few power assists available, the Chronos Hammer electric assist, the Edge gasoline assist (very fast and noisy), the BAT electric bike, a Japanese designed rear hub electric that was the second loneliest booth (BLM was the loneliest), and the ZAP electric assist that was displayed on a police bike. I'm dreaming of a Moulton with a pair of Chronos Hammers.

While in Anaheim I dropped off my crank for Berg to polish, then returned a day later to pick it up and go for a tour. I met Clyde and Gary Berg as well as Tim Walker who led the tour. Looked at all the heavy machinery lying around under blankets to keep them clean. Saw the dyno/test stand with dozens of sensors on a drag engine with 52 mm carbs. Apparently fuel injection was disallowed for VW drag races and they have had to return to carbs. Walked through the new building where they will eventually expand so that each machine has it's own clean room, as well as an engine assembly clean room. Shelves upon shelves of raw, un-machined parts. Several of Gene's vanagon engines lying around. Also Clydes drag car which will be run in Phoenix. Offered up a couple home brew pints to Clyde and Gary. I also took the liberty of wishing Gene the best from the Vanagon list. He and his shop are a museum and archive of VW knowledge that I, personally, rever. He is undergoing therapy and is still having difficulty speaking, though the hopes are for a 95% recovery.

Eug, '71