Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Sep 1995 11:09:51 -0400
From:         djenkins@foxboro.com (Drew Jenkins)
Subject:      Re: My Syncro Obsession Sated?

> *** WARNING *** NEWBIE POSTING *** WARNING *** > > Howdy folks...

<snip>

> Although it looks great, as soon as I climbed underneath I was nearly hit in > the face by a big fat drop of coolant dripping from the rear skid plate, and > the reservoir was below MIN.

Putting on my church lady voice: Hmmm, now lets see... 80k miles, low coolant level, hit with a coolant drop could it beee.... BAD HEADS! (not SATAN :-)

In all seriousness, what you are describing is an engine that needs new heads. Assume at least $850 parts for the new heads (complete) and go from there.

Just as a data point, I bought my 86 Syncro in Jan 92 with A/C and the weekender and leaking heads at 83k miles for $3000. The rest of the Syncro was as you described, in perfect condition.

I think this is a typical case where someone thinks what they own is worth more than it really is. I'd say $5000 would be a MAX price for an 87 (8 years old) Syncro w/o A/C and the weekender.

Also, if its always been maintained by the dealer and they couldn't get it to idle properly, I'm very leary of *that* VW dealer, or they are lying through their teeth. The fuel injection system is not rocket scientry. In fact, with Bently and a decent tool suite, a shade tree mechanic can diagnose all the components of the fuel injection system

Well, you asked for opinions, I think you now know mine. One last peace of advice. Try not to get emotionally attached to whatever vehicle you want to buy. If this deal isn't right for you, there will be another at some point. (I know, easier said than done.)

Drew Jenkins 86 Syncro djenkins@foxboro.com