Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 1995 21:53:18 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      too many vans for sale

Today I saw 2 late model Westies for sale. Just when I'm thinking that maybe I *should* go to a water-cooled as well.

Descriptions: 1991 Westfalia, maroon, power everything (locks, windows, steering, brakes), automatic, 103K miles, but the cleanest vehicle I've ever seen with that many miles on it. It was a tradein at a dealer, and he's asking $18,900 for it. Yikes. I took it for a drive though, its very tight feeling and a lot more powerful than my engine! The previous owners were local, and he promised me he would get hold of them and ask them about the history (as he was rather clueless - he went to show me the engine and couldn't find the latch for the hood - in the front!) I'm mistrustful of power-everything and auto transmission but this sure was a clean van!

1990 Westfalia, maroon, stick, manual windows. 87K miles, private owner, asking $18,000 for it. A little dirtier than the first one but looks okay.

Comments on model years & prices welcome.

I'm really in a quandary as to whether I should put this amt of cash into a vehicle or just make do with my air-cooled for a few more years. I'm disappointed in its performance in the *moderately* hot weather we have in the desert regions here. (I must admit the Westie interior is much more aesthetically pleasing too!)

BTW: the other guy on the lot DID know a lot about VWs. He claimed that VW has pulled the EV from production, and is not going to introduce anything else until they get the VR6 in, around late '96. For what its worth.

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------