Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:12:52 -0400
From:         SStueber@aol.com
Subject:      Re: VW Bus Reviews???

Well, this isn't a review, but I found an ad in the January 20, 1964 issue of Sports Illustrated that's pretty good. Here's the text from the ad:

Sean Stueber '63 Kombi '72 Bug

(Headline) Somebody actually stole one.

We were tickled pink to hear that somebody wanted a Volkswagen Station Wagon badly enough to go out and steal one. It wasn't so long ago that we practically couldn't give them away. So when Martin Carlson reported his loss to the police, we took it as a triumph. In its own way, the VW Station Wagon is one of the world's best getaway cars. You can escape north or south of the border. (The VW engine can't freeze up or boil over because it's cooled by air.) You can go farther in a VW than in any police car (24 mpg is our average). You have 21 windows to spot anyone who's tailing you. And it carries more loot (170 cu. ft.) than the bigest regular wagon you can steal. Sadly, the whole theory blew apart when Mr. Carlson found his VW abandoned in the very spot he had left it. Maybe everyone isn't ready for it, after all. Not even crooks.