Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:21:00 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      Canceled Road Trip to Denver!

I have been planning all week for a total gonzos "Road Warrior" road trip to Denver to pickup a recent acquisition. After figuring 900 miles each way, given only Fri, Sat and Sun. to do the turn around solo and be back in the office on Monday,(sane and productive), I decided against it. I was planning on renting a Ford Explorer with unlimited milage and just hauling buns. Driving straight through with a travel partner seemed somewhat doable and adventurous. Possibly a chance to "escape" for a couple of days. All possible travel partners pussed out or were otherwise detained. Figuring gas costs, rental costs, food, sleeping in the vehicle(no big deal), towing with a vehicle that I *really* wasn't allowed to tow with (was a potentially big deal), trying to figure the taillights on the tow vehicle without leaving any traces for the rental car company to find, plus the unexpected over night 9" of snow in Denver (major big deal), I threw in the towel! I called a Auto transport company and was surprised to find that on this particular trip that the cost was less than what it would have been if I did it all myself. This was outside of wear and tear on my health, safety, marriage and employment statuses. Cool, I'll stay home and get some work done on the '67 Resto and try to figure out, once again, if I still like the Clydesdale whiz or prefer the the Red Dog. ;) OK, so the wife has been pensive and crawling up my... er ah "giving me grief" about every teenyest details of my trip. Hopefully she can now crawl down and live in a "happier light." The only bummer was that I failed to give a 48 hr notice prior to canceling the rental vehicle w/o a penalty. It is actually cheaper for me to rent the Explorer, drive it off the lot, flip a "U-E" and return it than it would be to just call and cancel. Weird huh? Maybe I can give my wife a spin around the block in it and try to get her to smile at least once this week.

The vehicle from Denver will arrive at an auto auction near me on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I will let you all know 'sup at that time.