Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Sep 1995 15:03:47 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Re: Can you make the bus quiet?

Joel had some great tips on sound deadening. here's one more.

go to any store like Target, Wal-Mart, etc. and buy a queen or king size 'egg-crate' orthopedic pad ya s'posed to sleep on. they are about $12-$15. if the interior panels are off, just cut pieces of this stuff and glue it to the metal panel, (possibly ON TOP of 3M Undercoating, using the undercoating as an adhesive-- haven't tried that) with 3M Super Spray Adhesive. I don't remember the 3M part number but on the can it says it is compatible with open-cell foam rubber. This egg-crate shaped stuff dampens the drumming resonance and acts like acoustical tile.

I'm not sure of the fire safety of this stuff. Original insulation in the vanagon Westy was fiberglass wool bats. The foam pad does have a California fire acceptance tag on it. I also tried burning some with a match before installing it behind my hot fridge. It will ignite, but the flaming part extinguishes when the match is removed. It seemed safe enough to me so I did install it in my van. Fiberglass insulation would have more fire resistance but i HATE working with it... just cut the foam rubber with a scissors!

-dan