Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Sep 1995 18:45:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Robinson <erobinso@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Subject:      Way Beleated Introduction and new address

Hi there, I'm not sure if anyone remembers me but I've been away for a little while because my internet access was rudely interupted by a school which decided that I could no longer log on because I wasn't a registered student any more (why not?). Anyway, I have access through work now and I'm a happy guy. So, last time I was on, everyone was introducing themselves in depth and now I've decided to give it a shot. Okay, I'm 26 years old and I live on Long Island near SUNY Stony Brook (where I am a pseudo-graduate student on a long break). Unfortunately, Long Island is on the way to no where except Europe. Otherwise, I would welcome anyone to stop by and visit me anytime (good excuse, huh?). I work at a local public library (Emma S. Clark Memorial Library) where I am in charge of the video and cd-rom department (actually, I am the whole dept.). I play guitar and sing in a band called Mad Planets which has a small but devoted following. We have done mini-tours in New England and Upstate NY as well as many shows in NYC. Once I get one of my busses going we plan to go out to Portland, OR and get some shows along the way. That brings me to my busses. Actually, right now I'm driving a yellow '73 Squareback because it's the only thing that works. I also have a '73 bus with an automatic transmission and an engine which died several months ago. Someone sold me a '71 camper with a mint interior right after I got the bus so I have a camper-bus type thingy actually. Okay, so after taking apart my engine I find that the cost of replacement parts is prohibitive. I decide (with the help of my VW guru) to use the engine from the '71. But now I need some conversion stuff, like a drive plate for a Type III automatic or an Autostick beetle (anyone got one?). I'm also not sure what kind of motor mount I need. Anyone got any advice on this switch? Please help me. Just yesterday, the '71 camper was taken away and presumably crushed :(, but don't be sad because I recently bought another bus (I guess you can say I've caught the disease). Following the advice of the people on this list I purchased a '66 Westy from a local junkyard/repair shop for $400. Most people said that I'd be crazy NOT to buy it. Then after I bought it, I though for a while and realized that I took advice from a bunch of VW nuts! Of course they'd tell me to buy it! What was I thinking? Anyway, it's mine now but it's not at my house yet because I have to find someone to help me tow it home. I must say, it feels really good to finally have a split-window bus. I will definitely be asking for lots of help and parts. Well, thanks for your time, and note my new address if you've written to me before.

-Erik.