Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Sep 1995 18:02:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Big Trip Report [part 10, long]

*** Sorry this is so late, everybody! The stupid freenet server has been down ALL DAY, and just came up a few minutes ago. I will get a new account on a different provider soon. Promise.

Part X: The Canadian North (or, Christa finally gets to P.E.I. "Anne Who?")

This week: Tobin and Christa putt happily through the snow-covered Canadian Maritime provinces, with the gas heater running all the way. Warm locals, cold weather, and a wind-chill that cuts like a knife.

Hey kids! See a collection of fine photographs of Tobin and Christa on their Big Trip at --> http://www.teleport.com/~des/vw And why not join us and other list members on a road trip to the Beaufort Sea (on the Arctic Ocean) next August? Check it out at --> http://www.chaco.com/~coyote/trek

March 8, 1995 New Brunswick, Canada, just past the US border

The most striking thing about crossing the border into New Brunswick from Maine has got to be the bilingual signs everywhere. The signs were a great help to me, because it seems I can keep only one second language in my head at a time. Since spending a month in Mexico, every time I opened my mouth to speak French to someone, Spanish came out. Very Disconcerting. I tried to rectify the situation by reading only the French parts of the road signs. Spanish won't do me a hell of a lot of good in Quebec.

It was mid-afternoon by the time we cleared the border, and the sun was already creeping low in the sky. When we crossed the border into Canada, we'd also crossed into another time zone: we were on Atlantic Time now, meaning that we had a four-hour time difference between here and home on the west coast.

We cruised down highway 1 towards St. John, and it was getting noticeably colder almost minute to minute. As we were also getting hungrier by the second, we pulled off on a little gravel- based ice road looking for a spot to stop for a very late lunch. We drove a couple of miles without finding a sufficiently wide spot, so with a little help from the throttle and parking brake, we made a tight U-turn and headed back to the highway. We were both really hungry (and Christa was pretty growly) by the time we pulled into a road-side rest area and parked on the hard-packed snow.

We climbed in back, and because we'd partitioned off the cab from the rest of the bus, it was waaay below freezing back there. I pulled the hose from the gas heater back from the cab so we could warm up the back of the bus, cranked up the heater, and between the gas heater and our propane stove, we were toasty in less than two minutes. I had to turn the gas heater off. Christa warmed up some black bean soup on the stove, and we sipped piping hot soup at our westy table while watching the ice-and-snow-covered scene outside.

With full tummies, we put our dishes away and brought the gas heater hose back up to the front of the car. Our trusty camper fired right up, and we turned north towards St. John again. We were passed by a couple in a Jetta who liked the look of our dirty but very happy camper, and they waved as they cruised past. We waved back, and had a laugh at their vanity plate: SIP TEA. Shortly before 5:00, we pulled into the CAA office in St. John. We had hotel reservations to make.

Now, as far as this trip is concerned, Christa has a great job in two respects: 1) they let her take a three month leave of absence, so she has a job when we get back; and 2) we can stay at any Canadian Pacific hotels for $30.00 a night. Christa works in the restaurant at the CP Waterfront Centre Hotel in Vancouver, and Canadian Pacific hotels is one of the finest hotel chains in Canada. Many of the places are grand railway hotels built by CP Rail during the hey-day of rail travel in Canada. Most of these old grand hotels are officially designated heritage buildings.

All this is to say that $30.00 a night is one hell of a perk.

Christa got reservations for that night at the Hotel Beausejour in Moncton. Yippee! It was getting dark as we rolled out of St. John, and we drove through the darkness and plummeting temperatures for a few more hours.

By the time we got to the hotel, it was really, awfully, bloody cold! Fierce winds cut right through us as we skated from the camper across the driveway and into the lobby to check in. There was no way Christa was going back outside, and she nominated me to park the camper and come back with our stuff. I got back in the camper, drove it around to the parking lot in the back of the building, and nearly got stuck trying to get in to a parking spot on the lumpy ice. I jumped in the back and grabbed our bags, then took a minute to jettison all the water in the westy water tank. I'd hate to crack our water pump that way. I guess I could have added some anti-freeze to the water instead. ;-) I scrambled across the icy parking lot and dodged into the hotel through a side door. I hadn't put on a cap, and my ears were about to fall off.

I met Christa up in our room, and we had a hot bath and watched TV (a really wild thing to do after being 2 1/2 months on a trip like this) until we got bored about 10 minutes later. We went down to the "Windjammer"--a fancy restaurant with a tacky nautical interior on the main floor of the hotel--and had some nice single malt scotch before settling into dinner. Christa had lobster, and I had Atlantic salmon, I think. Contented, and slightly inebriated, we went back to our room, looked out at the frozen scene for a while, and went to bed.

The next morning we banged around Moncton for a bit, doing some long-overdue banking and stuff. For some reason it had warmed up close to 25 degrees Celsius overnight, and it was nearly balmy outside--certainly above freezing. Everything was melting, and huge puddles of briny water spilled over gutters and up on to the sidewalks, which were covered with two inches of muddy slush. With the chores behind us, we slogged back to the camper and loaded up. Most of the ice under it had melted, so my fears the previous night of being stuck in our parking spot were not realized. Without even a hesitation, our camper fired right up, and we pulled out.

We headed for the ferry at Cape Tormentine, which would take us across the Northumberland Strait to Prince Edward Island. We took highway 15 through Shediac and Cap-Pele, dodging huge muddy puddles of melted snow and ice as we drove through festively- painted Acadian communities. The sun was out, the heater was off most of the time, and the glare off the remaining snow and the wet road had me squinting hard, and wishing I could afford a pair of prescription shades.

We pulled into the ferry terminal at Cape Tormentine, and had over half an hour until the next sailing. We were directed to the line closest to the water, so we could see across to PEI on the other side. While the family behind us in a minivan tried to keep their squabbling kids entertained with some cheezy stickers they'd gotten 'free' from McDonalds, we popped the top, stretched out, and made a nice hot stir-fry type lunch. The kids in the minivan stared in awe at our camper, so we waved, and they waved back, eyes the size of dinner plates.

We snacked and read, and when we saw the ferry approaching, I took the dishes to the bathroom to clean up (dumped the water, remember?), and Christa put the stove and everything away. When they made the boarding announcement, we closed the pop-top, jumped up front, and fired up our camper. I'll bet I know what those kids begged their parents to buy for the rest the day!

The ferry crossing was something else. We steamed through thick pack ice from one side of the strait to the other, and the impact of slamming into the huge ice floes shook the huge ship. Most of the ice extended at least a foot above the water surface: if ice is 10% less dense than water, this means there was another nine feet of ice underwater, right? Still, the ship just crunched right through and I looked over the side as impossibly thick blue ice slid past the hull. This was too much. I went inside, sat down, and listened in on conversations around me. Truckers, ferry workers, parents with kids all seemed to be talking about somebody named "Buddy." "...Buddy fell off de boat..." "...Ha ha, Buddy never been t' Summerside! Buddy, dere, Summerside been on 'is route fer yiars, 'e'll show ye..." "I'm tellin' ye, Buddy gotta get outta de fishery--dere's no future init no more..."

Whoa. Buddy must really get around.

Some of you might be wondering what the hell we're doing in an air-cooled VW camper in PEI in March. Well, when were first planning this trip, I had a big map of North America and was plotting where we should go in Mexico. See, we'd talked about going to Mexico. Christa was beside me, and I suggested some neat things we could see of the way there and back. And Christa piped up, "Yeah! As long as we're going to Mexico, let's go to PEI!" ...Ummm, yeah. "No, really! See? It's not that far," she said as she spanned her hand across the map from one place to the other. "Yeah, only the far corner of the continent!," I replied. We thought about it together, added up the mileages, and saw that we could do a whole circum-continental route and make a really wild trip out of the whole thing. Christa grew up reading Lucy Maude Montgomery books (famous for her "Anne of Green Gables" series), and going to PEI would be like a pilgrimage. It was shortly after the decision to drive around the continent was made that I began roaming the junkyards for a gas heater I could install in our camper. So here we were, crashing through ice floes on our way to PEI in March. And I was really enjoying it. Christa always has the greatest trip ideas--the Inuvik trip was Christa's idea too!

We pulled over for a picture as soon as we'd cleared the ferry terminal and had our camper on PEI soil. I took a picture to record Christa's first few minutes on the Island. We went into the tourist information centre for some maps and stuff, but found that it had been turned into a day care centre for the winter. This should have been our first indication that PEI doesn't really do much of a tourist trade in the dead of winter. A friendly woman rummaged through some boxes that had been stored along one wall, and found us a tourist map of the Island. We thanked her, and headed off towards Charlottetown along a beautiful rolling highway.

Charlottetown has got to be the smallest provincial or state capital I'd ever seen. We had absolutely no problem finding our hotel--we headed down to the waterfront, looked two blocks over, and there it was. We walked through the front doors and into a construction site. The lobby had been gutted: bare conduit hung from the ceiling like dried-up spaghetti does when your eight- year-old is learning to cook pasta ("See? It sticks! Time to eat!"). Plywood barricades had been erected here and there. Ladders, hammers, and tool boxes were strewn in an apparently random fashion on the floor behind the barricades. An impact drill ripped into some concrete somewhere and rattled our fillings. Christa and I had to raise our voices.

We spotted the front desk across the lobby. The immaculately groomed staff in their immaculately tailored uniforms had a crazed look in their eyes, their nerves were totally shot. One was running a rag over the long surface of the marble counter in a vain attempt to fight off the dust which was settling everywhere. When we stepped up to check in, the front desk woman smiled a bit too widely and said "Welcome to the Prince Edward!" in an overly chipper voice. Her smile was bolted on; maybe she'd already been pushed over the edge.

We asked her what was going on with all the construction. "Oh, were re-doing the lobby for next season. I'm very sorry about any inconvenience." We told her not to worry about us, then asked when it was going to be completed. "Oh, hopefully by May." "How long has this been going on?," we asked, nearly shouting to be heard over the din. "Oh," she said, a pained expression washing across her face, "since about October." No wonder she looked like she was about to lose it.

Hmmm... I guess PEI doesn't do much of a tourist trade in the dead of winter.

We got up to our room and I spent the next half hour looking out our window, watching a Canadian Coast Guard ice breaker returning to port, carving a path through the thick pack ice into the harbour. I could see our bright mango happy camper parked below. It was covered in dark brown and red road grime, a spray fanning up from the front wheels, a caked-on coating over the rear, and a dark, even film over the front, except for two wedges where the windshield wipers had done their bit. We sat by the window and stared out at the harbour and our camper in the failing light, sipped our beer in our warm room, and went to bed early.

The next day we drove around the entire eastern half of the province. This isn't actually much of a feat, given that the entire island is not even 150 miles from end to end. It was positively balmy by PEI standards, well over freezing, although the wind was still blasting in from the Atlantic, threatening to remove the glasses from my face.

We stuck as close to the coast as possible, stopping to admire the old light houses which dotted the coast line every few miles. The ground was thawing quickly, and we often found ourselves heading off on dirt roads to get closer to the light houses, and slogging through thick, slimy, half-frozen mud. When we walked around, the mud threatened to slop in over the top of our hiking boots if we didn't watch where we stepped. The mud on the roads was alarmingly deep in spots: the thick mud was completely covering our tires, and had gooped up over the wheels themselves in places. I'd have to be careful: I had a shovel, chains, and tow rope, but I preferred to leave all that stuff where it was stowed in the camper.

At East Point, we stopped to admire another light house and to take some pictures. Our camper was reeeally muddy now. It's kind of fun parking on muddy PEI roads because you don't have to use the brakes: you just put the clutch in, and the suction generated by the tires cutting through six inches of mud just sucks you to a stop real quick. Makes a cool noise, too, if you turn off the motor to appreciate the full effect. The other thing I thought was cool was that we could have walked out on the ocean for several miles, just by stepping out on the pack ice. If I were suicidal. No way was I going to walk out on that ice with cold air and water temperatures and ice pressure like that! Might make for an impressive ad for a syncro, though, if the driver knew how to drive on the stuff.

Christa was getting really excited. We were getting close to Cavendish county, where the "Anne of Green Gables" books had been set. We past dozens and dozens of little road-side boutiques (boarded up for the winter) selling Anne-stuff. I pulled over as we crossed into Cavendish county, and took a picture of Christa hugging the sign marking the county line. Christa was beaming. We stopped at Lucy Maude Montgomery's grave site, where Christa paid her respects, and drove to the "Green Gables" house, which Montgomery used as a model for Anne's house in the books.

Of course the house (which is now part of the Canadian National Park system) was boarded up for the winter, but that didn't keep us from walking around, peeking inside, exploring the grounds, and taking lots of pictures as we walked through the melting snow. In most places, ours were the only footprints. Our camper was the only vehicle in the lot, there was no sign of a grounds keeper, and there were only a couple of other tire tracks to be seen anywhere. Not much of a tourist trade...

We very nearly got bogged down on the driveway out of the Green Gables house. We came around a slight curve in the drive to see a huge puddle with thick mud all around the edge. I considered backing up and going out another way, but decided instead to back up and take a run at it. It was less than a hundred feet of puddle and mud, so I figured momentum was what I needed. We hit the mess at 20 mph in second gear and began to lose momentum immediately. We got through the water and into the mud, which was much deeper and thicker than I'd anticipated. The engine speed was little higher than it should have been at that speed, and I knew I was riding that fine line with the accelerator between power and traction. We bounced and jostled through, finally climbing out of the mud bog and onto firm ground with less than than five mph left and the engine lugging heavily. There was no way I was going to risk a shift in that slippery mess! I'd also succeeded in undercoating the car with a thick layer of goopy mud--maybe it would offer me a bit of protection from road salt for the next day or two.

It was mid-afternoon, and it was starting to cool off rapidly. I might be a "come-from-aways" (not a local), but I could tell we were in for a change in the weather. We headed back to Charlottetown, through beautiful rolling red clay hills and potato farms. Just after making a turn-off and crossing a bridge over a small stream, we passed a beautiful old house that had been turned into a restaurant. A Jetta parked in front caught our eyes: SIP TEA! We turned around and headed back, pulling up beside the car. We met SIP TEA's owner, chatted a bit, then he invited us inside. He ran the restaurant, and they were closed for the winter, but he showed us around, proudly pointing out what improvements they were making. We'd been very impressed with how friendly folks in the Maritimes had been, and he was a good case in point. He made us some tea (which we sipped), we chatted and looked around, then we said our good byes and headed back to Charlottetown, with the gas heater pumping.

It took us less than an hour to get back to the hotel, but the blizzard had already begun to sock the island in by the time we made it back. Snow was hurtling sideways through the air, and the cross-winds required my full attention, since I wanted to sleep in the hotel that night, not in the camper sideways in a ditch. We parked in our spot outside the hotel, and I stuffed plastic grocery bags into the rear air vents so that the engine compartment didn't fill up with snow.

That evening, we sat in the hotel's outdoor hot tub, marvelling how the steam from the water was forming icicles in our hair and eyebrows. The snow screamed around us as we sunk down up to our chins in the warm water. Ah, PEI: vacationland!

The next morning I had to take our camper to a service station to get some grease pumped into out ball joints, which had had water and grit washed into them making them chatter loudly as we drove. The snow had turned to freezing rain in the night, and the entire camper was encased in almost an inch of solid ice. It was also bitterly cold, and the gale force wind didn't exactly help take the edge off. I hacked at the door handle with my Swiss army knife until I chipped all the ice from in front of the key hole. I inserted my key and the lock sluggishly turned to unlock the door. But the latch mechanism was frozen. Solid. I pulled on the handle as hard as I could. I levered it with my knife. Stuck. I walked around to the passenger side and did the same ice-chipping deal on that lock. I inserted the key, turned the lock, gripped the door handle, and hoped.

The door popped open. Yippee! I swung the door wide, then realized the door seal was still mostly frozen to the body of the car, but parts were still attached to the door, so there were these strips of door seal swinging in the wind. I carefully pried the door seal off the body of the camper and stuck it back into its place in the door.

I spent the next few minutes hacking thick ice off the windows. I pulled the bags out of the air vents, and they split into pieces instead of bending and flexing as I removed them. Hmmm... It really WAS cold! I climbed into the camper and sat on the rock- hard seats. It took four of five attempts to get the camper started, but it fired up within a minute, albeit on 3 cylinders for a few seconds before I was able to coax it into all four. I was real glad I'd backed it into the parking spot and left it in first gear. Drove for the first mile in first gear before even attempting a shift.

The mechanics at the shop I went to were really impressed that we were visiting PEI at that time of year in a VW bus. As they were firing grease into the ball joints, they couldn't believe that we'd left Mexico to come up there. When I told them we'd had no mechanical problems in over 11,000 miles, and some of them pretty tough miles, one of them just scratched his chin and said "Yeah, they knew what they were doing when they made those old Volkswagens." The squeak and chatter had disappeared by the time I got back the the hotel. Christa and I spent the rest of the day exploring Charlottetown in the snow.

That night, Christa received word that her Grandmother had passed away. In addition to the grieving, her death forced a change of plans. The funeral was going to be in Winnipeg in just a few days, and we were a couple of thousand miles away. Christa was going to have to fly, that much was clear. We figured we could get to Toronto, and she could fly from there while I drove straight through from Toronto to Winnipeg in a little over 24 hours. It would be hard, but it seemed to be the best plan we could come up with on the spur of the moment.

The next morning we checked out and headed to catch the ferry back to the mainland. We had a serious problem trying to get gas into the fuel tank because the freezing rain and continued cold temperatures had frozen the lock on our locking gas cap. The eventual solution was to open the sliding door and pull the hose from the gas heater around to blast directly on the gas cap. After about three minutes of this, the ice in the lock melted, and we got the cap off. After filling up, I put on our spare non- locking cap so we wouldn't find ourselves in the same predicament later in the day.

Although it had stopped snowing, the wind still whipped deep drifts of snow across the highway, so we had to take our time getting to the ferry. Once we were in the line-up, we turned off the engine and used the gas heater to keep ourselves nice and toasty despite the -20 degree Celsius temperatures and howling wind outside. All the other poor sods had to keep their engines running for the whole 45 minute wait.

The ferry crashed through the pack ice back to the mainland, and soon we were driving along side the Nova Scotia border towards Sackville. We turned onto the Trans-Canada towards Moncton, and quickly passed the broadcast facilities for Radio Canada International. We waved and honked.

We were going to try and get some serious miles in today--we needed to if we were going to get Christa to Toronto so she could get to the funeral. We kept rolling along, through Moncton, Fredericton, and beyond, stopping only for gas. We didn't really want to be romping around outside anyway, as it was still bitterly cold. Late in the day, with night beginning to fall, I just had to pull over in Hartland for some fun. I'd seen a sign informing us that Hartland was the home of the world's longest covered wooden bridge. I'm a sucker for "world's largest" stuff, and I just couldn't pass this one up. We drove down to the river and over the one-lane covered bridge. Yippee! Now that we were on the other side, we had to turn around and drive over it the other way. Yippee again! We cheered.

At Perth-Andover we pulled over for pizza and warmth. Even with the gas heater running full tilt full time, we just weren't able to keep the camper comfortable. We had good pizza in a nice warm shop, then headed out again. It was even colder than before, if that was possible. We started looking for a hotel, but could not find one that both a) was open, and b) had a phone in the room. We even ended up sliding backwards and sideways for thirty or forty feet down the icy parking lot outside one place.

Finally, we saw a place with really great neon off the highway in Grand Falls. Great neon is always a good sign for roadside motels. This place was open, had phones, comfortable beds, and one of the smallest bathrooms I'd ever seen in my life. It was also hosting a local snow-mobile convention. Checking in, I asked the manager if he knew what the temperature was. He looked at the thermometer stuck to the outside of the office window and replied, "Well, it's at least 40 below." "Celsius, right?," I asked. "Yep."

Oooh, it WAS cold! We cranked up the heat in our room, poured a hot bath, and thawed out. We piled into bed, and slept, thankful we were protected from the frigid air outside our windows.

[Next week: Will the camper start in this cold? Tobin finds out how cold it has to be before 20/50 motor oil looks like silly putty. Our camper experiences the first mechanical break-down of the trip. And we get one of the best rooms at the Chateau Frontinac in Quebec City! ]

Tobin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)