Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Sep 1995 22:59:34 +0600
From:         anon869@vt.edu (.edu)
Subject:      A crazy idea: put AFC injection on my 71.

What is the concensus here?

Me thinks: Advantages Better mileage. More HP. More reliable, wouldn't have to search for good, German 34-pict3's. Won't have to adjust my old junky 34-pict-3's every month. All of the parts would be on a 75- bug engine. Something which is neat and nobody else has.

Disadvantages: Expensive (and how). Time and labor to set up. Will it even work?

Well, I have a late model bug in the area which might have FI, so parts might not be a problem. I also know where there is a 74 bus with FI, so I could get a gas tank with the fuel return fitting for the bus. I am really not a FI type, but I am being persuaded by a guy with a 72 T3. It seems to run real well. I guess the idea was sparked here. VW got a good bit of HP out of the T3's with the older system. I was wondering if the AFC system was all that good as well. This should be the same system which is on all the T4 engines, i.e. 74 on, right? I know that some of the parts are different, like the ECU and the injectors, but the principles are the same. I guess that the other question is will all of this fit in the engine compartment of my bus? I was looking at a picture in "Fix your Volkswagen", and it looks tight in the top side of the engine.

All of this really hinges on finding a junked donor vehicle. Just having to buy one of the parts new would really set me back. It seems that futting FI on a VW engine is taking another of those steps which will allow it to be real reliable and trouble free. Or is it?

CBridge@vt.edu Chris Bridge 71' camper