Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Sep 1995 23:10:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Excessive Hydrocarbons

Volks, The 1800 in my '72 Westy is running even better than before. Except that it still will not pass smog. I took it in again last week and paid to have it hooked up to the fancy smog machine. HC emissions were running 650-700 where the legal limit is 350. The mechanic says, "probably a vacuum leak". Yeah, but I already checked for that. Plugged all vacuum lines and sprayed starting fluid around the base of both manifolds. They charge me $5 to use the machine (I have gotten to know them well over the years and they don't make me pay for a formal check until it will pass) and send me on my way. So, I take the bus to "Peanuts", a VW repair place not one block from my house. They say they can't get to it for a few days, and that they're not sure they can make it pass. What to do? I have to get this bus smogged, registered, and out of my garage! So, I reluctantly park it back in the garage and piddle with the adjustments. Thinking about the vacuum leak again, I recall that I didn't do a very good job of checking the base of the manifolds. I had used a can of starting fluid without a nozzle on it, and I couldn't direct the solution very well, plus the can was almost empty. I rummage around my bookcase full of solvents and find a fresh can of Berryman carb cleaner with a long plastic straw nozzle. Perfect! Sure enough, when I spray it behind the #1 cylinder intake port, the engine stumbles. Cool! So, like, I ran down to the parts place and bought 8 new intake manifold gaskets (hey, they are $0.30 each!). Whip off the right manifold/carb and replace the gaskets. Torque down the manifold again. Start the bus up. Runs worse than before!! Spray the bad spot, and the engine almost dies! AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! I found the problem. I bought new parts. I cleaned everything. I was careful.

It Still leaks!! What can I do? These manifolds seal against the heads with thin, metal gaskets. I've never had a problem with sealing them as long as the gaskets were new. The surface on the head is smooth, there is nothing getting in the way. Does anyone have an idea as to why I cannot get a seal between the manifold and the head? The only thing I can think of is to smear some RTV sealant on the gaskets, but that makes a huge mess. Still, that's what I'm gonna hafta do if someone doesn't tell me what the heck I am overlooking...

Thanks in advance,

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project) California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (14.17@99.34) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================