Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:36:00 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      '67 Rear Bumper Splash Pans/ Tips

Rusty asks: Do you still have a good pair of (rust free & relatively straight) splash pans off of a '67 non-euro bladed rear bumper? I was trying to assemble my freshly painted and powder coated rear bumper and splash pans over the weekend. I found that the hole in the splash pans (closest to the center of the bus/side to side width) don't want to match up to holes in the bumper brackets. These two holes are about one to one and one half inches off when I align or attach the splash pans starting with the inside curved area of the bumper corners. The splash pans seem to be too far toward the center of the bumper when aligned as described. It seems that I may have selected the wrong splash pans for the bumper. I think that they may be off of a Euro blade or a slightly later model bumper (eg 68). I know I took them off of one of my misc. thrashed rear bumpers so I don't know what the difficulty is! .............................................................................. Footnote: Here are a couple of tips if you are planning to redo your earlier style bumpers.

General: Unless you are very lucky, you will have to have your bumper blade and the various over rider pieces straightened (corrected to OEM shape) to some degree or replaced with aftermarket pieces. Check the fit the pieces to each other and the bus during or after the "straightening" process and prior to the priming and painting! This is also is recommended even if using aftermarket replacement pieces. Make sure that you remove all of the bolts from the holes prior to the application of the paint or powder coating. Check for broken bolts. Resign your self to the old tap and die routine if necessary. Disassemble the bumper pieces prior to primering and painting. Of course every bumper will need it's own level of attention. Every bus owner will have their own limits to budget, time, and desire.

Rear: Check the fit of your aftermarket over rider uprights. Make sure that you dry fit the pieces or completely assemble the bumper prior to painting them. The point is make sure that you have plenty of room to insert the bent tubing over rider into the hole in the upright. Allow for a build up of primer and paint. I had to carefully open the holes with a grinding stone on a drill. It would have been much neater if I didnt have to go back and touch up the paint.