Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Sep 1995 17:22:55 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Vanagon Towing Solution

First, thanks to everyone who responded on this thread about my towing situation. Second, I successfully towed my 87 Syncro home on all four wheels. Third & last, here's what the Bently book has to say about towing. I looked in the book only as a last resort - not expecting to find anything about towing. My experience has been that the book seems to do an adequate job with the highly complex subjects but totally skips the routine maintenance items. I figured towing would be to mundane for them to cover. I was wrong. With my rearrangement and paraphrasing Bently says:

ALL VANAGONS: (My advice here. Bentley doesn't exactly say this, but they'd probably agree) "Towing" on a flatbed truck or flatbed trailer is the preferred method for all Vanagons.

A. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: 1. Towing with only FRONT wheels on the ground: Lock the wheels with an external wheel lock device. Do NOT rely on the steering column / ignition switch lock. No speed or distance recommendation is mentioned in Bentley. 2. Towing with only REAR wheels on the ground: Tow van at up to 30 MPH for up to 30 miles. Use dollies to lift rear wheels if these limits must be exceeded. 3. Towing with ALL FOUR wheels on the ground: Tow van at up to 30 MPH for up to 30 miles. Driveshafts may be removed if these limits must be exceeded.

B. MANUAL TRANSMISSION ( two wheel drive): 1. Towing with only FRONT wheels on the ground: Lock the wheels with an external wheel lock device. Do NOT rely on the steering column / ignition switch lock. No speed or distance recommendation is mentioned in Bentley. 2. Towing with only REAR wheels on the ground: Tow van at up to 50 MPH for up to 50 miles. 3. Towing with ALL FOUR wheels on the ground: Tow van for unlimited speed for unlimited distance. (Yes, the Bentley book actually says unlimited speed. I can just hear the phone call now: "Well, I was towing the Vanagon behind the Blue Flame out here on the Bonneville Salt Flats and.....")

C. MANUAL TRANSMISSION ( Syncro, All Wheel Drive): 1. Towing with only FRONT wheels on the ground: NEVER! (Unless I suppose you've disassembled part of the drive train to prevent problems!) 2. Towing with only REAR wheels on the ground: NEVER! (Unless I suppose you've disassembled part of the drive train to prevent problems!) 3. Towing with ALL FOUR wheels on the ground: Tow van for unlimited speed for unlimited distance. (Yes, unlimited speed. See comment above in C-3.)

My comments: When towing with all for wheels on the ground, make sure the steering column ignition switch lock is unlocked.

What's left out of the above: Specifics on attaching sling type towing equipment.

A curosity: The recommended limits for towing a 2WD Vanagon on its rear wheels only is 50 miles & 50 MPH. The recommendation for towing the same vehicle with all wheels on the ground is for unlimited distance at unlimited speed. Why the difference? The only explanation I can offer is that the gear oil is tipped toward the rear while the front wheels are raised and at its normal level while all wheels are on the ground.

Of no value: Would unlimited distance at unlimited speed take a long time because the distance is so great or take no time at all because you can travel so quickly?

Jim Davis 87 Syncro 88 Wolfsburg