Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Sep 1995 00:00:07 +0000
From:         "Joe Clark" <jclark@polaris.net>
Subject:      Free to Good Home: Westy Tent Pages

Now that I have your attention...:)

Well, my ISP finally woke up and decided to enforce their 1MB limit on web pages. To keep them from going in and deleting stuff willy-nilly, I've had to remove all the fullsize jpegs linked to the thumbnails on the pages. So don't yell if you get a "404 Not Found" error.

I'm working on a solution that involves a new ISP (moving from $35/month and 1MB to $13/month and 2MB!) but that really doesn't solve the problem. I have more images from Michael Heron and others that I'd like to put up, so I need a place. And my current ISP charges $6/month/MB over 1meg -- which I can't quite rationalize away. I also want to start doing some volunteer pages around the community, and until that starts earning bread I need headroom.

I'd like to explore the possibility of distributing the pages to various sites -- one kind of tent here, another kind there -- to reduce the byte bite. If anyone has a couple hundred MB to spare on their WWW directory and is interested in hosting one or more of the pages, let me know. I'd email or ftp the pages and images to you after modifying the appropriate links; everything would still be accessible from a central site but e.g. the foyer tent might be at site A, the privy tent at site B, etc. You don't have to know beans about html as long as your ISP gives you space to keep web pages in.

<sigh> How bout you guys at www.vwus.com opening up a couple meg for a needy VW enthusiast?

In the meantime if you have a desperate, aching need for one of the fullsize jpegs let me know.

Joe Joe Clark jclark@nexus.polaris.net http://www.polaris.net/~jclark/ Floridiana.Fiction.VWs.Kidstuff.CBT.Whimsy-by-the-truckload.

"Spill the Wine! Dig that URL!" -- Eric Burdon, unwitting WWW prophet.