Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Sep 1995 11:58:20 -0400
From:         "Frank E. Terhaar-Yonkers" <fty@mcnc.org>
Subject:      Update - Warranty on VW factory engines ...

Re: Warranty on VW factory engines - or are we always going to be at odds with VWofA and the dealers?

Some of you may have seen my post last week about my new (10kmiles) less than 1yr old factory rebuilt leaking coolant from the head.

I bought the motor last year from VW specifically because of the 1yr 12k mile warranty. Before purchase I asked (more than once) if the warranty was still vaild if I installed it myself. Not believing the dealer, I also asked the same question of VWofA and was given an unqualified "Yes".

Well, last week they tried to stick me with the $300 labor to redo the head gasket. The "logic" they used was that since I bought the motor "over the counter" all that was covered was the parts. I got the runaround for 3 days until I demanded (of VWofA customer service) an arbitration. This escalated the call to someone higher up the food chain who gave me the same party line. After arguing with this moron for another 1/2 hour I finally got his boss. I told him simply, that if all I had was a "parts warranty", I would take out the defective "part", which according to my receipt is an "engine" and he could give me a new one. After a few seconds of silence they decide to pay for the labor.

The moral? You have to be a persistant bastard dealing with these people. This is not a friendly relationship. They don't give a shit about us even after spending $2500 on a whole new engine.

Buyer beware ...

- Frank

\\\\////\\\\////\\\\\////\\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\ Frank Terhaar-Yonkers High Performance Computing and Communications Research MCNC PO Box 12889 3021 Cornwallis Road Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709-2889 fty@mcnc.org voice (919)248-1417 FAX (919)248-1455 http://www.mcnc.org/HTML/ITD/ANT/HPCCResearch.html