Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Sep 95 17:41:03 EDT
From:         "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>
Subject:      RE: BUSES, VALUE, & RESALE

Paul Smiley wishes for a consistent bluebook of bus values. Which would be really neat, but is not something I'm expecting to show up on the magazine racks. It's clear from this list that the values vary by geography as much as they do by decade, and that condition of an individual example swings the price by about 95%.

This makes me (and I think others) really wacky shoppers. I'm not in the market for a VW van at all ... but I still go to look at any I see for sale in my part of the county. The tiny supply of VW buses for sale has gone beyond sellers market and back into buyers market: Any offer I might make is going to be seriously considered because there aren't that many people who are crazy in this particular way.

The advice to look at lots of buses has been printed here repeatedly, and is absolutely mandatory, as it would be in any collector's hobby. We are all collectors, in terms of the amount of trouble we go to to maintain our vans. We differ from other collectors in that we expose our prized col- lectibles to the public roads on a daily basis. B. Wm Kennedy kennedy@admin.njit.edu