Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Sep 1995 20:18:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      World Wide Day of the Beetle Party

The following letter came in the latest edition of the CVA Connection:

"June 22 - World-wide Day of the VW Beetle

Beginning in 1995, all of the following June 22 days will be considered as the "World-Wide Day of the VW Beetle", a date in which to celebrate this dear, charming and useful car.

Why June 22nd? Naturally, for on this date, in 1934, a contract was signed between the German Automobilistic Industry National Association and Dr. Ferdinand Porsche. By this contract the Eng. F.h.C. Porsche GmbH sought to develop the Volkswagen, and submit for consideration the first prototype in 10 months form this day on. That was the day in which the successful saga of the VW Beetle began, a day in which everything started. As it is meant to be a world-wide date, one has to take into consideration the climatic conditions of the Earth. The climate in June is convenient int he northern hemisphere, and it is agreeable in the most part of the southern hemisphere. This speaks in favor of June 22.

What is intended by this date? It is aimed at having a fixed date to celebrate the best selling car of the world, the car that was elected as the Car of the Century, and the car that was chosen by thousands of admirers to be their prized possession."

And now on to the party! As most of you probably know, June 22 is the "birthday" of my '56 Beetle. This Beetle has been special since birth, in fact its serial number 1226221 contains its birthday in both US and European format. I was planning on having a 40th Birthday Party for my bug anyway. Now that June 22 has now been declared "World-Wide Day of the VW-Beetle", what better excuse to have a MAJOR party!

Over the next few months, I will be working with various clubs and organizations to put together this bash! You are all invited to come and celebrate this day, June 22nd! More details will follow.

Ric

P.S. I probably will need a little help with this. If you can volunteer in any fashion, it would be greatly appreciated.