Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Sep 1995 20:53:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:         tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick)
Subject:      Early Bus Door Window Frame Resto

Hody,

I started the resto on the front door window frames tonight. Made out OK, only 3 wounds - 1/8" drill bit 1/4" into my finger, which doesn't hurt, which kind worries me, same drill bit, across another finger for a 1/2" gash, and then a screwdriver into that same finger. This the same hand I cut part of 3 fingers off, and then a few years later broke the thumb trying to lower the 911. Life has not been good to my left hand...

Please note that this is a major project, not to be attempted in the parking lot of your FLAPS. Plan on going without windows for at least a day, minumum, if you have to paint at all. Prolly longer, like in my case, but I have an extra set to use in the meantime :)

The rubber is available from West Coast Metric or Wolfsburg West, and runs $150 to do both doors, including the piece around the door frame. The one piece thats is not in the kit (why I don't know) is the piece for the wing/vent window. Duh...

Anyway, here's the rundown so far:

Removed the windows months ago, but thats is accomplished by removing the plastic covers (4) over the screw holes in the front and rear of the door, in the jamb area. Remove the 4 big phillips screws. Remove the door panel, and remove the 2 bolts above the door handle that hold the frame from the side, and last, but not least, remove the 2 10mm nuts from _inside_ the door that hold the frame down. Feel for them, they're there. Honest!

Once you have your frame out, sit down somewhere comfy, and where you won't hurt the window if you drop it. You'll need a medium philly scredriver, a smallish flathead, wd-40/liquid wrench, power drill with 1/8" bit (watch those fingers!), exacto knife (watch those fingers!) and patience.

To disassemble the window frame, first locate the 4 small screws on the middle support and rear support. These are a pain to get out, but to get the glass out, you must perservere. Don't drill a hole in your finger like I did,tho. Taking these screws out will let you take the sliding and stationary glass out.

Also take out the scres that runn along the sliding glass. This is prolly best done once you have the sliding and stationary glass out.

To get the wing window out, undo the locking tab and remove the nut from the spindle, and make sure to keep the spring and washers in a safe place. Take the drill and drill out the rivet in the top part of the frame. Now lift the rubber out enuf so you can move the frame, and with a screwdriver, align the washers that are "trapped" in the frame so you can slide the wing window out.

To remove the wing window from the frame, use the exact knife to cut back under the glass and slide some of the rubber away. Once thats done, use a scredriver on the end of the frame, and GENTLY pry upward, in the same plane as the glass. Alternate top and bottom. When it gets free a little, cut some more of the rubber. Another note - the little swoopy piece that goes on the bottom front of the wing window is a separate piece that get imprisoned under the rubber. I have no idea what its function is, but I'm thinking about painting it a contrasting color just for the halibut...

Use the same trick to remove the rails from the sliding glass and the stationary glass.

I ya wanna be anal, you can drill out the rivets for the wing window latch and keeper, and send down to be chromed. It doesn't make any sense to paint them, cause it'll get ground up the first time you latch the window.... I'm just gonna mask mine off, after cleaning it up a bit.

Thats where I stopped. I still have to disassemble the other window, and then de-rust and paint them. Then re-assemble. I wanted to post this while I had it all fresh in my mind...

Bleedingly yours,

Thom -- > Abstraction is achieved by data hiding and enforced by encapsulation. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Is this s'posed to be funny? Thom Fitzpatrick tfab@netcom.com ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/tf/tfab/home.html '56 VW Sunroof Kombi '72 Porsche 911T Targa (For Sale? Make offer!) Desperately seeking '51-'55 Barndoor Deluxe Project