Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Sep 95 17:05:06 EDT
From:         "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>
Subject:      RE: Porsche Power (was: Self-Introduction)

Almost all of the cost of Porsche conversion is the cost of the engine: $1500 minimum, $4000 typical, sky=limit. Adapter flywheel is $300, oil tank is $100-200, oil cooler and hoses maybe $400 if you feel you need additional cooling. I paid $75 for engine mounts and made my own rear brace out of a $50 aluminum box-member; traded an airconditioner for the welding work to raise the center of my engine lid (which you need to do unless your Porsche engine is 3.2 liter big bux).

A serious conversion would probably also include swapping out the trans- mission for a 5speed. I'm stuck roaring along in 4th gear just like any other Vanagon, except that at 65-70 I'm in a VERY healthy part of the six-cylinder power band, ready to pass with class.

Martin Schneider Designed Systems has a conversion kit that eliminates some of the compromises I tolerated: professionally designed/cut sheet metal (I used aluminum sheet and pop-rivets); special rear brace (I cut my own); special muffler (I used the stock Porsche muffler which reduces my ground clearance by maybe 5 inches.) They assume you will use 3.2 liter big bux engine, so they don't solve the engine-lid question.

The conversion work is probably two days for a good shop, which translated into about eight weekends for me, working at my own pace and solving design problems as they came up. E.g. stock accelerator cable works, but it needs to be re-routed THRU a chassis member to reach the other side of the engine.

If you buy a known good engine, that's complete, you are basically "90 per- cent done, just half-way to go". The rest of the tasks are at the power drill and tin snips level.

B. Wm Kennedy kennedy@admin.njit.edu