Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Sep 1995 15:09:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:         Jack Reed <jackr@fortnet.org>
Subject:      Re: 71 in hand vs. Vanagon in the bush

Steve,

On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Steve Tokar wrote:

> Besides the fact that repairs are a lot more expensive, what else would I be > in for if I went with a Vanagon? What's the repair record and maintenance > schedule? How reliable is it? Is 83 the least problemated year for the > air-cooled? (Don't want a waterboxer.) We like to go on back roads in the > desert, and I'm nervous about taking a vehicle that can't be patched > together with duct tape like the 71 (I'm not a mechanic but I do have Muir's > Idiot Book).

Several differences to note right off. You'll have to learn about fool injection as well as acquire the VW manual since Muir doesn't cover vanagons. The manual is 8 1/2 x 11 and about 2" thick. They run ~$90 from the dealer but can be found for less. I got mine off the net for $20 from someone that had sold his van.

You're right to stay away from the water-cooleds, at least until you learn about the potential downsides and what to look for. Keep reading the list for stories about leaking head gaskets, fights with VW to fix the problem, outrageous repair costs, etc.

My van, an 81 Westy, has been very dependable with the exception of normal wear and tear items such as the starter, a broken clip in the tranny that no one else seems to have experienced, the dreaded VW ignition wire syndrome, etc. All easily fixed by your normal shade tree mechanic.

What you get in increased power and size you lose in greater systems complexity. So everything balances out in the end.

Good luck with your search, Jack