Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Sep 1995 06:55:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: LP-less Westy Advice?

On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Jay Goldberg wrote:

> My new '77 Westy came with no LP tank. I think that it'd be cool to > cook (I mean at least coffee); I have this great stove. Is there > any way to hook up a little campstove LP tank to my stove for some > cooking?

I also have an LP-less Westy. Although I'd love to have a "Deluxe Campmobile" (the version that came with LP tanks, among other goodies), the LP-less version of the Westy offers certain advantages, particularly in regard to cooking arrangements in hot climates.

Here's the deal: get a Coleman 2-burner propane camping stove (the big ugly green kind), a 10 (15?) pound propane tank, and the appropriate connections necessary to connect the tank and stove together. We have a long extension-type hose (maybe 10 feet long), so we can leave the tank where we store it in the camper and place the stove where ever.

The really great part is this whole arrangement is that everything fits perfectly in the Westy cabinet directly behind the driver's seat in or '76. I think this cabinet was designed to store the spare tire, but we don't use it for that purpose since our camper has a button nose (spare mounted on the front of the van, with a white cover).

The whole thing works great, and in really hot weather we just take the whole arrangement outside to cook. That way, we don't have to heat up the van with cooking heat.

We bought a propane barbeque grill earlier this summer, and absolutely love it--definitely taking our grill with us to Inuvik! One winter project is going to be setting up the proper connections so I can run the grill off our big propane tank, instead of the pissy little one pound disposable tanks the grill is designed for.

Tobin ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)