Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:02:09 -0700
From:         wabbott@megatest.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Engine transplants, radiators on bay-windows

The other day, while parking to go into Berkeley Hardware, I spotted a bay-window Westie with a radiator on the nose. Thinking this unusual, I asked the driver and passenger, who were just walking away, what kind of engine they had. 2.8 liter Ford the driver said. Plenty of power, and very reliable. The radiator was in a channel-iron square with heavy metal mesh as a grille, all bolted to the bumper and nose sheet-metal. A fan about 9 inches in diameter was mounted behind the radiator, with clear space behind it. The fan was driven by a shaft which emerged from nose sheet metal. Probably driven by an electric motor mounted inside.

The radiator box was painted a nice industrial orange which went well with the orangish paint on the rest of the bus.

The radiator was a conventional looking taller-than-wide job, with the cap doubtless the highest point (no cooling system bleed issues that way...) I didn't see what kind of hoses it used.

The Mexican-made Caravelles have the same kind of upright radiator in a radiator box on the front. Next time I go down to Tijuana, I should try to get a radiator box :)

Bill